Reptiles as display animals?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All my reps are a look only take a pic now and then when cleaning the enclosures but for the most part are left to their own devices unless feeding or cleaning.

this is just a curious question... why dont some people like to handle there snakes.

I just dont see the need to constantly harrass any of the snakes in my collection, It comes back to the keeper thinks they need their company and for the keeper to handle them to be happy when in fact they dont at all.

Last edited:
My snakes are placid but don't handle them unless it's necessary. I derive enormous pleasure from watching them "on display" and if I want to "play" with something, I choose animals that appreciate handing and return some affection. I think there is too much anthropomorphism in this hobby, but, each to their own. It has a lot to do with how you perceive snakes - pets or wildlife?

I have the same opinion

snakes arn't like mammals and do not crave attention, let alone need it, but really, would you like to be stuck in a 'display' for the rest of your life? like imagining living in the same wooden box for the rest of your life, we can not compaire snakes or reptiles to us because we are a very different species, but surely all animals must carry emotion or feelings. If animals are being used for 'display' purposes why not just view them in the wild instead of keeping them in a wooden box? Reptiles might not like attention but surely they like change and variety in life, handling the right way may not cause stress but give the animal a new stimulation or 'enrichment' even. Its just an idea, people might have different views. Im young and i still think of my reptiles as 'pets' they have different personalites, some like getting out of their enclosure and exploring, others dont. Some will tolerate handling and some like happily sit on your lap.

Either way, i dont see how handling and 'cuddling' an reptile to the 'display' kind of lifestyle could be so different and there is no right or wrong, as long as the animal is healthy and happy that is fine. some reptiles are just more suited to one lifestyle than another.

I have my bearded dragons to handle and do have a couple of other snakes on my 'soon to get list' that are very tame also so it will be a mix of both i guess.
They will still be interacted with but to a much lesser extent and mainly through glass :lol:

I am more worried about the animal's safety rather than my own in this and would hate to handle them and cause stress or injury to them.

Thank you very much for your perspective as well :)

Funnily enough, I'm able to handle my three pythons fine. However, I don't really handle my male pygmy bearded dragon at all. He's way too flighty. The female is fine and is great to handle - very very relaxed. The male definitely has a nicer, more bright pattern. So in that regard, he's definitely a display animal.

Funnily enough, I'm able to handle my three pythons fine. However, I don't really handle my male pygmy bearded dragon at all. He's way too flighty. The female is fine and is great to handle - very very relaxed. The male definitely has a nicer, more bright pattern. So in that regard, he's definitely a display animal.

Same with mine, i have a pair of orange phases that are absolutely beautiful but when trying to take them out for an explore etc they don't like to be handled. On the other hand they are fine with me touching them and patting them while in the enclosures.
I also have 2 yellow females and they are quite friendly especially one of them, she sits at the opening and actually 'asks' to be taken out and doesn't like going back in. She is confident and enthusiastic to explore or just bored lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back