reptiles suitable for a waterfall feature?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastie

Reaction score
would a pond waterfall feature in our yard be suitable for coy fish as well as greentree frogs and eastern long neck turtles the water is fresh from our underground spring?
would they live happily together otherwise if not what reptiles would?

You lucky thing..I have 3 aviaries set up as features but in my biggest, i have a waterfall running into a pond area. In it i have water dragons and blue tongues. When i set it up, i put about 20 feeder goldfish in. There are about 8 fish left and they are now a decent size. I reckon you could set it up with koi and wd's. They are great to look at and have a character all of thier own. :p

I don't really understand your question.
Do you have a waterfall in you backyard that is spring fed and you want to know if you can put koi in there and if they will be a problem for the turtles and frogs there? If so, then don't do it.
Do you want to build an outside cage and make a pond with waterfall in it that will be cycled by a pump? If so, the koi will almost certainly try and eat your frogs and the turts will nip the koi and frogs too given half a chance.
Or are you going to try and stock a natural spring fed pond with turtles and frogs and koi? If so, you should really not do it, as you will be allowing the turts and frogs to escape into an area they are not necessarily native too and risking disease spread.
You could put EWD's in an aviary with koi in the pond, and turtles too if the pond is large enough to allow everyone to hide from each other.

would they live happily together

Hi Coastie,

We have a pond in our fernery with a fast flowing water feature. Our Eastern Long Necks, gold fish and recently bought native perch all love it! Daavid is hoping the perch eat the gold fish.. :wink:

Cheers, Judy (aka HerpTrader)

guys thanx for the suggesytons ill keep them in mind but i think well go with Cheers, Judy (aka HerpTrader)
greets guys feel free to keep discussign the ideas its wonderful for ur imagination!!

Coastie, I think Goulbourn would be way too cold for Green Tree Frogs to live outside.
I have a pond in my yard. I simply got some frogs eggs from across the road (literally), waited until they hatched and then put the tadpoles in the pond. They are free to leave if they want but there are lots of rocks to hide under and plenty of food so most of them have decided to stay.
I love to listen to them calling to each other at night.....ah the serenity.

ok heres the thing if you are going with KOI carp look at your local laws as most states have band them. also they are alot of work there not your average goldfish. they like clean water with a UV filter as thay do have problems with alge. also they grow big very big mine are 55cm at the moment (and for all you victorians i have a permit as i have had them before the ban and can keep them till they die) so if you are going to put animals in there make sure they won't get eaten.

westie

I had no idea KOI carp have been banned in most states. I learn something every day on here. Is it so they don't get into the waterways? I once saw a bright orange goldfish/carp swimming with a school of European carp in the local Murrumbidgee. I have always wondered how it got there.

The only reason we ever got gold fish was to keep the mosquitos down. We bought a hand full of feeder fish and tossed a couple in each pond. Well these dusky brown fish developed colour and are now quite big and gold! Their size is in part due to their liking for the crumbs of turtle food the turtles leave behind.

Finding native fish, that are turtle (and tadpole) friendly is a bit of a challenge but we got some over the weekend from the native fish farm near Glenburn (Near Yarra Glen, about 60k east of Melbourne). I wish that we had been able to get these when we had first set up the ponds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back