Reptiles Vs Real Estate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryony

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
just wondering if people are/did/have any troubles with real estate when looking to rent and what are the key ways of stating you keep reptiles and still not freaking them out?
any pointers?
i don't want to stuff it up is all

I don't rent Bryony, but the way i see it - "What They Don't Know Don't Hurt."

A friend of mine who keeps reptiles just offered my a large room to live in...I jumped at the chance, because finding somewhere to live that will allow me to keep stuff like Taipans is going to be hard...

they are 'tank confined' animals 'like' goldfish so if i stated i had tank confined animals it should be ok?

just don't tell them!!! lol
according to a friend of mine who is a real estate agent, keeping reptiles is classed as a "hobby", and they cannot refuse to lease you a house or flat because of a hobby.
she hates snakes, but that's what she said in our defence incase our real estate chucked a wally.
also, if you live in a flat, most body corporates will accept reptiles even if there is a no pets rule, because they are kept secure, in a tank... similar to keeping a goldfish.

if they haven't got it stated in the contract about reptiles they can't really stop you like hugsta said what they don't know won't hurt them

when we first asked for permission i wrote a big thing about what we wanted, how small it was as a baby and how long it would take before it got to a scary size lol. as we all know, people hear the word "snake" and think venomous, human seeking out to kill monster lol. they wanted details and believe it or not a diagram and pictures of what the cage would look like so i did one and showed the 2 doors (one on the top and sliding doors) with locks on them, and at the time he was small enough to be in a click clack locked inside the 2 footer. i think that was enough security to convince them lol. plus i found a review on diamond pythons on the harry's practice website saying how docile they were so i sent that in too lol.

after we got him they all wanted to come around and meet him lol. from a distance mind you :wink:

good luck bry :)

they are 'tank confined' animals 'like' goldfish so if i stated i had tank confined animals it should be ok?

i tried that one too but apparently there is some big liability with a snake? i dunno if he was assuming it was venomous tho :?

astrobeka said:
according to a friend of mine who is a real estate agent, keeping reptiles is classed as a "hobby", and they cannot refuse to lease you a house or flat because of a hobby.

is this true?!?!?!?
is there a real estate bible that i can quote them on?
it makes sense

Hi Bryony,

As a Property Mgr a few years back in Melbourne, my experience with Landlords and renters with pets were they really did not like having dogs or cats as pets kept in the house...We would often have tenants say while applying for a lease "the dogs were 'outside' dogs", only to have carpets etc damaged in a very short time by the dogs.

If you feel a need to advise the Real estate people you have reptiles, it would be good if you could tell them you have reptiles that are kept in locked, secure enclosures, just so the LL does not imagine them running/slithering about the house etc etc. They will also see reptiles cannot damage property, as a cat or dog can.

Often they are more concerned with the breeding of rodents to feed the snakes.

Good luck, Judy

Tell them to stick it up their backside. If that doesnt work leave a death adder in their shoes :D

is this true?!?!?!?
is there a real estate bible that i can quote them on?
it makes sense
i will see her on friday, so i will ask her how she knows this, whether it applies to other real estates - not just the one she works at... etc.

As my lease said "no pets", all I did was to ask that they add a clause to the lease that I was permitted to keep non-venemous snakes in locked enclosures - they agreed without a problem. That's not to say that they all will oblige so readily, but it worked for me.

The thing that concerned me was that if I didn't do that, they would have a ready excuse to evict me if they felt so inclined if I didn't have that clause, in that "pets" could be loosely applied to anything if they had a mind to.

When looking for a house to rent I was up front that I kept reptiles. I got references beforehand and made the owner write a letter that stipulated that I could keep reptiles on the property. I gave as much information as i could.
Recently my neighbour complained to the agent that I had free ranging reptiles on the property.
A ludicrous claim of course. As the agent is aware of the value of the animals she rang me immediately to inform me of my neighbours complaint and that she had informed them that I was licensed by NPWS, that I held a rescue and rehab license, at I had written permission from the owner to keep them on the premises and that I was the person to talk to if they thought any of my animals had escaped.
Nice one.
Peter

We had this problem a few months ago too, Bryony. We ended up putting in rental applications with an attachment which included our reptile licenses, diagrams of the tanks they would be housed in, offering a $100 'pet bond', a written reference from our previous rental agent who didn't mind the reptiles and the promise that we would be present whenever the house is inspected so the agent doesn't feel uncomfortable. It is frustrating but we had a few agents on our side in the end when we pointed out that reptiles don't leave fur, fleas, ticks and s#@t everywhere and are much cleaner. I think the key is persistence and being honest. Good luck, hope it goes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back