Restless Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHEWY

Reaction score
I'm a little puzzled about my male Black Headed Python. Today I noticed he is very restless, sliding all around the tank. This wouldn't normally bother me, but he has had no heat source since April and is normally content on sitting still and only moves occationally.
He is also "wagging" his tail constanly and the lower part of his body, even whilst sliding. I have checked for mites and came up with nothing. His mouth had a little bit of yellow where his tongue comes out and his lips were sealed with what appeared to be dry saliva, when I opened it, inside of his mouth was clean.

Has anyone any idea what's happening?
Thanks in advance.

Justin

No idea as to what it could be CHEWY.
Hows his breathing?Any whistling to be heard?
M.......

My male jungles did that when i first started cooling, but now they stay in their hide and only come out to bask for an hour or two then go back to their hides again. Seeing that you are from sydney and i would have thought they would need some heat at least during the day. Maybe he is just horny, lol.

cheers
M.S

Chewy

The tail wagging is interesting. One of my Olives does that when he gets anoyed or agitated. He's not cooling but I've seen him do it when I offer him a feed (ocasionally) its almost as though he's getting worked up about the whole thing and the waggle is quite fast - almost like a shiver just in the last couple of inches.

With regard to the stuff on its face, does your BHP have fresh water. I've noticed that if the water isn't changed regularly it can get a bit of a flim on it (maybe from the Breeders Choice dust) and I wonder if when they dip their mouth in for a drink, this film might get picked up and then dry like a thin paper mache mask over the mouth.

My 2c. Hope BHP's ok

G 8)

After Grahams post, it reminded me i had a pair of Womas, that wiggled their tails and bopped their heads when they smelt food, have you been feeding other reptiles, i found Womas to be very quick scent wise, often smelling the food before it was defrosted even.

cheers
M.S

my carpet python has an extra sensitive smell, it is like he is phycic..knows i am gonna feed him before i open the tank, and he also wags his tail wen agitated or hungry. mabey it is like a caudilure on baby green pythons

I`d get it to a vet, even if it`s just for peace of mind. My female woma was diagnosed with a slight respiratory infection 2 days ago. She was acting similarly (about a week ago), racing around, stretching and rubbing. The vet thought she was probably irritated by congestion. She`ll be fine after her 14 daily jabs but she had no visible symptoms.
Hope all`s well

I find BHPs to be very restless snakes, all mine are alot more active than my other pythons esspecially around dusk or when hungry.

I haven't offered any food. I won't do that until after I turn the heat back on. The female in the other tank has no problems at all.
The wagging also includes a little of the way up the body too. I could feel something a little a hard and was wondering if he may be constipated, but he has relieved himself (real big too, my brother thought the dog got in the tank) since his last feed and cooling.

How long after its last feed did you cool? IMO one month is the minimum time from last feed to cooling.If you are very worried i would take it to a vet, or bump the temps back up to normal levels just to be on the safe side.

cheers

M.S

I had a snake who was also being very restless with her heat off and appeared to have lost a lot of condition since cooling started. I freaked a bit and turned her heat back on. Turns out she was just shedding but taking a long time about it due to the low temps. The lost condition was just that real flacid look they tend to get during the early stages of a shed. No harm done though, I wasn't planning on breeding her anyway. :D

active snake

hi chewy..
if you have a female bhp that is ready to breed put the restless male in with her now...bump up the heat and let them go..the tail movment is a sign of what was called hornyness..lol..
we have had our bhps together now for a few weeks and they are hard at it... bhps have a longer gestation and incubation that other pythons so mating will take place earlyer that others as well. the restless ness is a message form the bhp to you..( lol i need a girl freind )
good luck
cheers paul.

Thats why I like this site....so educational.......learn new snake technical words like hornyness :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Hawkeye

I haven't fed him at all this year. He was in my dad's care while I was galavanting the planet. I turned the heat off when I got home, March 29. I will take your advice and increase his temp with the female and hope for the best. I was thinking of doing that, but wanted to wait an extra month. It might be time for a slough, but don't think it's time to mate. They are only 18 months old. It'd be good though wouldn't. One can only dream.

Cheers everyone.
Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back