Retained Eye Caps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosenoose

Legendary
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I tried to do a search on this topic through the forums, but either I am blind or impatient or both, I couldn't find anything that focused directly on what I would imagine to be a "fairly common" complaint.

Usually I am absolutely adamant that I have made sure these eye caps or brills (as I think some people call them) have come off with the slough, but alas, it appears that last time due to a pretty ordinary slough (undoubtably due to a low humidity level), I was more pre-occupied removing the rest of the skin and happened to overlook them :( I suppose they are pretty hard to spot anyway if the head of the shed was rubbed all over the place lol

I will add some photos here tonight to give some an idea of what these retained caps look like. In appearance they develop a cloudy mirror-like sheen and seems to develop after a short period of time. One appears to be worse than the other :?

I've read a couple things that suggest there is nothing to be concerned about and wait until the next slough. If it doesn't come off then, it is highly recommended to take the snake to a reptile vet (whom of which I have the name of).

Is there something I can try without too much hassle that works in this situation? I'm not intending on poking around his eye with a pair of scissors but you know... :lol: I've heard a cotton wool bud with baby oil works but...baby oil?? Really!???? Do I wait til next slough? Do I take him to a vet only to have him tell me wait until next slough??? Agggggh...What to do! lol The snake himself doesn't seem too concerned about it all, but hey, I don't want any complications due me being slack about any of this :wink:

Cheers,
Luke

Do-not wait untill next shed as this can more often than not make it worse. Try soaking the animal in warm water for a while and this should soften the lense enough to remove with out too much difficulty. Dab warm water on lense as you remove it and if left to soak long enough it should come off with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back