rock fishing caught 9 sharks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSTONE

Not so new Member
Reaction score
went rock fishing today, caught 9 bronze waler sharks up to 1.5 metres long plus some kingies, bream and a wabbiegong. kept one of the sharks for the pan with plenty enough left to share with some mates

not a bad session,
i have a nice fishing spot i go to not far from the bat cave...
love the taste of shark, especially gummies and shovel nose if you've ever tried them

not a bad session,
love the taste of shark, especially gummies and shovel nose if you've ever tried them
i thought shovel nose tasted like slimy crap when i ate it , but i was then told its all i the way you cook it how do you do it :) also to the op nice go been a while since i been out fishing i must dust of the rod soon

i thought shovel nose tasted like slimy crap when i ate it , but i was then told its all i the way you cook it how do you do it :) also to the op nice go been a while since i been out fishing i must dust of the rod soon

not so much in the cooking, more in the preparation, same as most sharks you have to bleed them straight away and put them in a nice salt water ice slurry...
then usually just skin them, batter them and then fry them, taste exactly like flake, really nice

not so much in the cooking, more in the preparation, same as most sharks you have to bleed them straight away and put them in a nice salt water ice slurry...
then usually just skin them, batter them and then fry them, taste exactly like flake, really nice
ook then i didn't know that one:) and im the son of a commercial fisherman that did sharks as well i do remember that he gutted them straight away but didn't think there was anything behind it

Bronzies around the 3ft mark and under are a half decent table fish if dis-pached immediately and prepared properly.. Anything over the 3ft- 4ft mark will usually have a strong amonia/iodine smell,taste due to sharks not having a urinary system and will have a build up of amonia in there system and will taste like crap.
What did you get the kingys on? where you from?

not a bad session,

will have to try, kinda feel bad taking the life of such an awesome creature though, might keep it as a one off, just love the fight

Bronzies around the 3ft mark and under are a half decent table fish if dis-pached immediately and prepared properly.. Anything over the 3ft- 4ft mark will usually have a strong amonia/iodine smell,taste due to sharks not having a urinary system and will have a build up of amonia in there system and will taste like crap.
What did you get the kingys on? where you from?

the one i kept was one of the smallest of the day around 1m long,i just tied a half hitch around its tail and left it in a oxygenated rock pool untill i was ready to leave. just before i left i put it down as quick as i new how to than bled and guttered it, i got it home fillitered and skined it and put it straight on the pan and shared it with my mates. tasted way better than any fish i have eaten besides the dolphin fish i caught in fiji.i got the kingies on bottle squid, i have found it to be the best bait for everything, was catchin taylor and whiting on it off the beach the other day. i live on the central coast

Last edited:
the one i kept was one of the smallest of the day around 1m long,i just tied a half hitch around its tail and left it in a oxygenated rock pool untill i was ready to leave. just before i left i put it down as quick as i new how to than bled and guttered it, i got it home fillitered and skined it and put it straight on the pan and shared it with my mates. tasted way better than any fish i have eaten besides the dolphin fish i caught in fiji.i got the kingies on bottle squid, i have found it to be the best bait for everything, was catchin taylor and whiting on it off the beach the other day. i live on the central coast

Nice one, 9 bronzies at the same spot and at day time is top session especially catching kings at the same spot. Agreed mahi mahi is a top table fish, the best eating fish we get down this way in my opinion is the good old john dory though I wont say no to a good feed of flattie fillets. If your planning on keeping another bronzie or any small shark species for the table kill it as soon as you get it on shore then cut its head clean of and gut it straight away then tie it of in the water that way it will the amonia build up won't spoil the flesh.

thanks mate ill keep it in mind. ill defo be going back to that spot, awesome fishing, not another sole seen all day and shadowed buy huge cliffs. perfect spot

31b207b0-ecd1-6d4d.jpg

31b207b0-ece8-fda3.jpg

Caught these 2 last weekend off Stockton beach.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gwob45

nice catch marzzy i wanna get up stockton an see if i can hook up a great white just need to find someone stupid enough to paddle the bait out to behind the breakers. my mate at work said he will hook up a chair to his bullbar on the patrol. i know its illeagle to kill them but what about targeting them as a game fish from the beach

thanks mate ill keep it in mind. ill defo be going back to that spot, awesome fishing, not another sole seen all day and shadowed buy huge cliffs. perfect spot

No problems mate. Is this spot anywhere near Toukley by any chance?

nice catch marzzy i wanna get up stockton an see if i can hook up a great white just need to find someone stupid enough to paddle the bait out to behind the breakers. my mate at work said he will hook up a chair to his bullbar on the patrol. i know its illeagle to kill them but what about targeting them as a game fish from the beach

It's a illegal to target great whites as there a protected species. It's ok if you catch them as bycatch when targeting other big shark species but they have to be released back asap after landing them. Also I'm pretty sure that they banned 4wd chair type fishing lol also banned baits over 200grams and metal trace on Stockton after those blokes were paddling out baits and landing great whites of Stockton using a gimble chair strapped to a 4wd.

[video=youtube_share;4bc-Cv9C-E8]http://youtu.be/4bc-Cv9C-E8[/video]

Last edited:
No problems mate. Is this spot anywhere near Toukley by any chance?

It's a illegal to target great whites as there a protected species. It's ok if you catch them as bycatch when targeting other big shark species but they have to be released back asap after landing them. Also I'm pretty sure that they banned 4wd chair type fishing lol also banned baits over 200grams and metal trace on Stockton after those blokes were paddling out baits and landing great whites of Stockton using a gimble chair strapped to a 4wd.

[video=youtube_share;4bc-Cv9C-E8]http://youtu.be/4bc-Cv9C-E8[/video]

i find it gutless hunting for a prize...hunt to survive not for pride......i surf and i respect the ocean. I could not kill anything unless i had to feed my self and my family....just because a lot of people do it doesn't mean its ok....respect nature .

i find it gutless hunting for a prize...hunt to survive not for pride......i surf and i respect the ocean. I could not kill anything unless i had to feed my self and my family....just because a lot of people do it doesn't mean its ok....respect nature .

What was the prize? Non of the great whites that were caught were killed, they were tagged and released. I'm confused are you saying people that fish and catch shark or any fish for that matter and keep a few for the table are doing the wrong thing?

i thought shovel nose tasted like slimy crap when i ate it , but i was then told its all i the way you cook it how do you do it :)

I don't know about shovelnose (from memory I thought they were good to eat...but it was a long, long time ago)

One fish I won't touch (but is okay if you smoke it "apparently") are those bloody Australian Salmon. I just catch and release them these days (and they are great fun to catch). the damned things should be called gigantic Aussie Herrings (the word "salmon" shouldn't be anywhere in there!), they really do taste like crap :lol:

What was the prize? Non of the great whites that were caught were killed, they were tagged and released. I'm confused are you saying people that fish and catch shark or any fish for that matter and keep a few for the table are doing the wrong thing?

the spot is about 20 mins south of toukly venomous. i can kinda see why chair fixed great white fishing is banned, like myself when i found out about it i wanted to try it and i guess if you get to many people doing it, it may in some way affect the sharks and you would also get the odd person who might think its cool to cut the jaw out as a trophie. i dont have a problem with killing fish just a problem with the people who take more than they need. out of 20 fish caught id be lucky to take 1 or 2 home. may sound cruel to some people but i just love fishing for the sport and adventure. like i said before i didnt really like killing the shark and i will probebly keep it as a 1 off and i dont have a problem with other people doing it as long as their not being greedy. fishing can only exist if there are fish in the sea

I don't know about shovelnose (from memory I thought they were good to eat...but it was a long, long time ago)

One fish I won't touch (but is okay if you smoke it "apparently") are those bloody Australian Salmon. I just catch and release them these days (and they are great fun to catch). the damned things should be called gigantic Aussie Herrings (the word "salmon" shouldn't be anywhere in there!), they really do taste like crap :lol:
i think the problem was when i ate shovel nose was that i was with mates and we were drunk playing man vs wild , sleeping on the beach and we had to catch our own food or we went hungry:) we only wrapped it up into foil and chucked it into the fire needless to say it was disgusting slimy crap :)

i think the problem was when i ate shovel nose was that i was with mates and we were drunk playing man vs wild , sleeping on the beach and we had to catch our own food or we went hungry:) we only wrapped it up into foil and chucked it into the fire needless to say it was disgusting slimy crap :)

you have to skin them 1st mate

And why would you want to catch 9 sharks

wasnt actually targeting sharks, but anyway they put up a great fight. all relised bar the one i kept that had half its tail bitten off by another shark when i was winding it in. most people couldnt care less about fishing and find it plain boring but i on the other hand have the same intrest in fishing as i do for keeping reptiles. i lovvvvvvvve it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back