Rock Wall help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monitor_Keeper

Reaction score
After completing final render looks so goo ( 10 x better then what I thought it would ) but am stuck at paiting stage. I know acrylic paints but just asking :

Best brand?
Best colour ( etc burnt umber or teak and so on (specifics) ) ?
How many coats? ( I am going to detail gaps in black )

Also I am thinking of building an rock wall in a enclosure already, just wondering if I choose to go with the foam and then fill the gaps with the expanda foam ( bunnings ) Will it look different at all in the Xpand foam parts?

Never worked with the stuff before.

Go for a simple base colour, like a chocolate brown or a grey slate colour and a few highlight colours, lighter browns, reds and even yellows etc.. Notice how the light falls on a rock face and how shadows are created... Add small amounts on highlight areas such as the lip of the rock face....You can also mix some red oxide or yellow ochre oxide into your grout when making it up and you'll get that terracotta or a sandstone colour as a grout base colour & go from there...

Paints can be from the $2 shop, depending on what they have at the time, they may have 5 or 6 different shades. Just pick what you like the look of.
i normally use oxide to give a base colour on my last layer of render.
if you haven't already, google "dry brushing" and search you-tube for "Becky wheeler"

throw up a picture of what you have done so far

$7 pots of house paint samples. Then choose what you want... granite, slate, sandstone, pull up pics of actual stone and consider three or so colours that combine to make it... work from your darkest colour to the lightest. Look at the lady Jax said and have a good look through this site: Lizard care, and fake rock wall landscapes

Thanks all, already a few good tips but again ( sorry ) how many coats and also the question about the expanding foam.

If you are going to use styrene then stick with it, or use the expanda by itself. I was very underwhelmed by the water based expanda foam which you need to use with the styrene so that the solvent doesn't eat the foam. two or three coats of render. The paint coats will depend on the effect you are after and you will find heaps of advice in the places Jax and I already mentioned.

There have been about five (or more) threads in recent weeks involving rockwall backgrounds including my Mac build, take some time to read them they are quite detailed and should tell you most of what you want.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the thread that inspired me: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/diy-fake-rock-wall-183525/

image.jpg

Gruni is gunna laugh at me coz he will think I'm showin off my background again haha but the reason is I jst finished this one my first and I found that when I was trying to find stuff on here that pics of others really helped as far as colour sceme goes. I got a colour I liked for a base coat jst a 250ml sample tin from bunnings and some cheap acrylic paints from the local shop it's up to you but what I did was use a cheap spray bottle of the mist setting it gives a natural look out your base coat down then do the black in and under ledges then after that pic some dark greens and browns and jst sort of wing it a bit spraying little bit here and there also after ya happy dry brush all the bits of rock that stic out it really makes a difference jst get a slightly lighter colour to your base coat so it doesn't stick out like dogs balls then seal it done I was a bit hesitant but Now I've done it really ya just gotta wing it. Also mum aka Jaxrtfm will help you heaps if you ask her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back