RSPCA Calling!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its ironic that the way you are all talking is the same as old fashioned people talk about snakes. because snakes are just a pest to them and maybe next time one comes into the yard they might just step a shovel onto its neck instead of calling for someone to remove it. a cat does what a cat does, anyone who would kill a pet cat just because it is in their yard is no better the the 30 year old living with his mum torturing guinea pigs in the basement.

Gimme a break, It's totally different mate..No one talked of killing family pets that are kept in a responsible way.
A cat outside is a menace to wildlife,
Get over that

hey everyone i worked for the RSPCA for numerous years in a varity of different sections and i would honestly have to say that one of the worst parts of the job was the amount of feral cats that came in.
as much as many people hate on cats it was very very hard to c such a large number feral due to iresponsible owners in the first place it got very depressing at times.

Christ. Can no one post a thread with out all of you fighting about it? Why do you have to all be so high and mighty, just shut the hell up, read what was said, and don't let the thread go off topic. The topic was how rspca thought he was mistreating his pet, and he was doing the opposite, STICK TO THAT and write comments such as "Thats funny" or " i hope your cat gets better" You all have to go into your little righteous speeches about what should be and what shouldn't be, every one has thier own opinions, let people think what they want to think.

On a lighter note, How did your cat go this morning? You should do a door knock to see which neighbour reported you, then shove the medical bills in thier face, haha, but it is good to see that some of your neighbours cair enough.

I am glad they called the rspca........and surprised that they actually responded in reasonable time.

The feral arguement is fine........I believe that when you are talking about any non native animal the problem is not so much the animal but the irresponsible owners. Perhaps you would save yourself $$, your cats health and some wildlife if you keep you cat inside or in an escapeproof outside enclosure. This goes for dogs as well............;)

Christ. Can no one post a thread with out all of you fighting about it? Why do you have to all be so high and mighty, just shut the hell up, read what was said, and don't let the thread go off topic. The topic was how rspca thought he was mistreating his pet, and he was doing the opposite, STICK TO THAT and write comments such as "Thats funny" or " i hope your cat gets better" You all have to go into your little righteous speeches about what should be and what shouldn't be, every one has thier own opinions, let people think what they want to think.

On a lighter note, How did your cat go this morning? You should do a door knock to see which neighbour reported you, then shove the medical bills in thier face, haha, but it is good to see that some of your neighbours cair enough.

well said rocky
how is your cat? and how are your arms? :lol:

How can you not love this??:lol::lol:
funny-pictures-cat-sends-minion-for.jpg

Well I agree with the people who say the cat should not be allowed out side unsupervised! we have to have our dogs in a fenced area but we allow cats to roam free? I have 2 cats both complete indoor cats except for the hour aday out side with me watching!! I think cat cages are an awsome Idea that allows people to to let their cat have out door time and not kill our wildlife - and in saying that it is not just the wild life but all so the cats welfare(traffic, dogs, snakes, picking up nasty bugs, worms and loads more).

Story time(ahhhh will she ever shut up :)

The lady across the road from me had a pure bred ragdoll and it was her darling, she use to let it our in the morning and it would come back for lunch then go again and come back for tea. One night the guy down the rods dog got hold of it and ripped it to smitherines!! we all heard the screaming of the poor cat!! Now here is the tricky part and I would like comments on this
The cat was not in its yard - nor was the dog
The cat owner wants the guy down the road to pay for the cat, but he wont saying that its not his dogs fult as the cats was not in its yard!
So whos in the wrong and should the dog owner pay
My thoughts are they were both wrong and he should have his dog locked up and that the cat should not have been out doors so he should not have to pay(although I would if it was me)
What are your thoughts?

Dogs are kept outside.............Native things are outside.............do you see what i am getting at?, cats are blamed for everything... while dogs are no Mass murderer.. They do eat native Fauna(animals)

Dogs are usually kept contained in a back yard, in the burbs anyway,
If the cat was kept contained in a backyard, instead of freeranging around the hood then it wouldnt be an issue.

Dogs are usually kept contained in a back yard, in the burbs anyway,
If the cat was kept contained in a backyard, instead of freeranging around the hood then it wouldnt be an issue.

Spot on there!!! Cats are also extreme hunters and kill for fun not just food. Any pet that you are responsable for should be housed according to their needs. I think it boils down to people wanting a cat but not the kitty litter cleaning job ;)

snakeman112 how could you not love this enough to keep it safe?:rolleyes:

My 2 love the indoor life - and are more than happy to watch the wildlife fly by their window!!, and I know they are safe and sound :D

Attachments

• birds, snake and lizard 004.jpg
    birds, snake and lizard 004.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 29
Yes, cats shouldnt be outside unsupervised etc. But the cat in this story has a busted up leg. I dont think its a risk to anything...... If any, you would be risking the cats life being outside, as it cant exactly run away from a dog right now.

I hope your cat gets better soon Dipcdame. Once all the medicine and vets are finished with your cat will love you again :)

bundy-zigg: they are both wrong - his dog should have been locked up and he can get fined for it. I believe in QLD you are required to have your cat locked up at night. So no, I don't think he should have to pay. Most people would try to compensate someone if this happened but it shouldn't be expected/demanded when the other person is also at fault. If she cared enough about it, the cat wouldn't be out in the first place!

where i am from not many people complain about feral cats as most farmers have a few and the feed lots have a fair few cats hanging around to devour the mice and rat problem not everyone will tolerate a python hanging around which is a bloody shame but alas .anyway the biggest gripe we get from the cattle farmers here is DOGS tearing calves bums out and ripping off shoulders ....dogs that are not kept on there own property are DEAD hear the guns go off often and dingo/wildog season which is now .farmers go along into the bush and shoot or bang on the head dingoX pups drag them out of the hollows that they hide in and bump them off or drop baits that are excruciating if its taken the heart keeps beating faster and faster which makes the dog run itself to death ...alot of domestic dogs are baited to.....so there is the other side of the coin you in the suburbs complain about the cats out here in the bush dogs are a bigger issue..........also to its a $40.00 scalp price you get and the dogs are skinned from the head showing the ears down to the tail .......and I can tell you now colour dont matter so anyones dog is at risk if a greedy bastard wants to earn a few bucks .......
:evil:

Thank you to those of you for your support and kind words,

to others,

here are the facts.............
1. Tassie is kept in for the best part of the day, and at night.
2. The other cat we have is a hunter, and so kept indoors till an enclosure is built along the side of the house.
3. You have a dog? They can maim for life, or kill not only native wildlife (although usually too slow and clumbersome, hence the reason they don't do it so often), but they can do the same to children and adults too..... do cats?
Do you keep your dog inside because of this? NO? Then why expect cat owners to do this? You keep your dog in all the time, and I will consider doing the same with Tassie. That's when the RSPCA would probably call again and condemn and fine me for restricting her in such a way.
4. Unless you know the individual animal, do not assume it follows the stereotype for the breed - Tassie basks under a tree outside where a couple of honeyeaters nests appeared a couple of years ago, cat was there first, but I watched her to check all was ok. The honeyeaters have successfully raised families there, and Tassies reaction to a baby that fell out of the nest, as they do from time to time, was to startle, then settle, closing her eyes again. She is indoors when our cockatiel is let out for a flight, and the bird torments poor Tassie incessantly, pulling her whiskers, but the cat is tolerant. If it gets too much, she moves.
5. You keep snakes? Remember, a large part of the community hate snakes, and would cheerfully put a shovel across the back of its head, venomous or not, does that stop you owning them? No, it brings gales of protests and calls for people to be more tolerant, and even calls for people to get to know them before judging.............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??
6. Sdaji, your reply is via IM.
7. Where was all this concern for animals when I was calling for help and assistance from all animal lovers a few weeks ago, to sign a petition to help the plight of animals in China being skinned alive - tortured?? There was no moral high ground shown then!!!!!
8. To those of you who say they are so concerned for our own native animals, how many of you have actually visited Mrmikks site - he is working hard to help save native wildlife in Queensland, in the REdlands area............ anyone been to that site?? Anyone done anything about it?? Anyone done anything anywhere to help save native wildlife apart from hating cats?? (refer to number 5)
9. I do not say that all cats are like Tassie, and yes, there are some that should be enclosed, and many indeed are, including our own boy. It is a problem, the same as feral dogs are a problem, but there is no easy solution for this. There should be some sort of legislation that unless a cat or dog is for showing purposes, or licensed breeding purposes, they should all be desexed, and no cat should be sold or given away without a desexing certificate.
10. ALL our four - legged pets, cats and dogs included are all desexed, and were from a very early age, they never got a chance to expand the populations!

Facts!
1.cats only need a couple of minutes to kill
2.excellent!!
3.yes dogs can main that is why you have to have them in a fenced yard, and owners are responsable for the dammage their dog does - fines for bites ect. Are cat owners responasable for the what their animal gets up to?, not to mention cats roam wast areas(you would be surprised how far your cat can get in a couple of hours)
4.stereotypes are there for a reason, my cats play with my birds and have even tried to smooch the snake - but let them near any out side bird an look out its on for young and old!!
5.yes I own snakes but im not going to let it roam in to the next door chook pen am I? we house them safe and secure
6. fair enough
7. dont ever persume that others dont do their fare share of things! as many do
8. no have never been to the site, but I take in any injured animal and care foe it have have paid huge vet bills for my love! I have had Flying foxes, metalic starlings, chanel billed cokoo and many more, and I bet there are heaps of others out there that do WAY MORE than me (good on those that do)
9. Totally agree,
10. Totally agree too

I hope Tassie gets better, as I am an avid cat lover and hate to think of them in trouble - I just hate cat urine through my car vents and paw prints on the car - fighting cats at all hours of the night -squished cat on the side of the road - I could go on but I think you get my picture

Thank you to those of you for your support and kind words,

to others,

here are the facts.............
1. Tassie is kept in for the best part of the day, and at night.
2. The other cat we have is a hunter, and so kept indoors till an enclosure is built along the side of the house.
3. You have a dog? They can maim for life, or kill not only native wildlife (although usually too slow and clumbersome, hence the reason they don't do it so often), but they can do the same to children and adults too..... do cats?
Do you keep your dog inside because of this? NO? Then why expect cat owners to do this? You keep your dog in all the time, and I will consider doing the same with Tassie. That's when the RSPCA would probably call again and condemn and fine me for restricting her in such a way.
4. Unless you know the individual animal, do not assume it follows the stereotype for the breed - Tassie basks under a tree outside where a couple of honeyeaters nests appeared a couple of years ago, cat was there first, but I watched her to check all was ok. The honeyeaters have successfully raised families there, and Tassies reaction to a baby that fell out of the nest, as they do from time to time, was to startle, then settle, closing her eyes again. She is indoors when our cockatiel is let out for a flight, and the bird torments poor Tassie incessantly, pulling her whiskers, but the cat is tolerant. If it gets too much, she moves.
5. You keep snakes? Remember, a large part of the community hate snakes, and would cheerfully put a shovel across the back of its head, venomous or not, does that stop you owning them? No, it brings gales of protests and calls for people to be more tolerant, and even calls for people to get to know them before judging.............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??
6. Sdaji, your reply is via IM.
7. Where was all this concern for animals when I was calling for help and assistance from all animal lovers a few weeks ago, to sign a petition to help the plight of animals in China being skinned alive - tortured?? There was no moral high ground shown then!!!!!
8. To those of you who say they are so concerned for our own native animals, how many of you have actually visited Mrmikks site - he is working hard to help save native wildlife in Queensland, in the REdlands area............ anyone been to that site?? Anyone done anything about it?? Anyone done anything anywhere to help save native wildlife apart from hating cats?? (refer to number 5)
9. I do not say that all cats are like Tassie, and yes, there are some that should be enclosed, and many indeed are, including our own boy. It is a problem, the same as feral dogs are a problem, but there is no easy solution for this. There should be some sort of legislation that unless a cat or dog is for showing purposes, or licensed breeding purposes, they should all be desexed, and no cat should be sold or given away without a desexing certificate.
10. ALL our four - legged pets, cats and dogs included are all desexed, and were from a very early age, they never got a chance to expand the populations!

I can honestly say that my 3 dogs have never killed any native wildlife. This i KNOW as FACT because thier entire life, if they anrt in my backyard or house they are on a lead beside me.
Can you say the same of your cat?
If so then good for you, u are a responsable cat owner. If not then you cant claim to be a responsable cat owner. Your cat may seem like a gentle pussy cat when at home. But how can you posably say your cat aint a killer if you dont honestly know where it is?

All us native wildlife lovers aks is that you know where your beloved pet is at all times... Cause we KNOW where ours are!

mebebrian, I know exactly where my cat is at all times, even when outside, she doesn't wander, as I said DO NOT JUDGE MY CAT TILL YOU KNOW HER.

and what are your dogs doing in the back yard?? I know mine are kept there, but they will chase any bird or mammal that comes into the yard... or is it different if they kill native wildlife in your own backyard????
as I said, unless you are prepared to keep your dogs restrained and indoors, don't presume to tell others to keep their cats indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back