salamandas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wattso

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
does anyone know anything about the diet and feeding mechanics of salamandas? thinking of buying a pair locally but want to bone up on there keeping. Have ofcourse been researching but theres nothing likehearing fromsomeone who actually has them first hand. also is breeding difficult? ........thanks in advance. p.s. poss to house with GTF?

You'll have to be a little more specific... What specie is it?

Axolotls are the larval stage of salamanders

.......They are? I thought they are completely diff?

axolotl
a salamander, Siredon mexicanum, found in certain lakes in the region of Mexico City, which reaches reproductive maturity without losing its larval characteristics. This phenomenon is called neoteny; in salamanders it is apparently caused by certain environmental conditions, particularly a low level of iodine in the water, which affect the functioning of the thyroid gland. Axolotls are permanently aquatic, never undergoing the metamorphosis to a terrestrial form characteristic of amphibians. They grow larger than ordinary larval salamanders and develop sexually, but they retain external gills and a well-developed tail. The axolotl was not recognized as a salamander until 1865, when several specimens at the Jardin des Plantes in Paris suddenly underwent metamorphosis. After some experimentation it was discovered that when their pools were dried up most of the animals changed into the adult form. Axolotls will also mature normally if fed thyroid gland extract. The related North American tiger salamander, Abystoma tigrinum, often exhibits neoteny in the Rocky Mts., where the iodine content of the water is low. The axolotl has a broad head and bushy gills; its skin is a black-speckled dark brown. It may grow as long as 13 in. (33 cm). In Mexico City, axolotls are sometimes cooked and eaten as delicacies. They are classified in the phylum Chordata, subphylum Vertebrata, class Amphibia, order Urodela, family Abystomidae.

aslo they have salamanders at kellyville pets they cost like 140 dollars each cause i waent there a year ago and asked em

you can get them to metamorphise(sic) by adding small quantitys of iodine to the water or adding small amounts of a drug called thyroxine to there food over a period of a few weeks.

Bell, :oops: good question, not sure what the species are that I looked at, have to find out, but most havesimilar husbandry requirements according to research. Diet anyone???????????

I saw some Salamander's at kellyville today...cant remember how much they were tho. Probably best to give them a call wattso.

Thanx Bell, the ones I looked at were at parramatta but , I will check out kellyville too. :D

Isn't saying your after a Salamander like saying your after a frog or after a bird or a dog? (Not specific at all) Are you after Axolotyll's? Other Salamanders and newts have become illegal in Aust recently, I used to own Japanese fire bellied Newts and some type of european newt but these are illegal now(though there is no doubt a black market for them, even in pet stores possibly.) If you are refering to axo's then they are very simple to keep, dont even need a heater if you live in a warm climate though they do best I think at about 22deg. Inducing metamorphosis is generally regarded as very stressful on the axolotyll and shortens life span signifigantly(I've never done it myself to know for sure though,just read it) They are very simillar to another salamander commonly referred to as a ''mud puppy'' which metamorphosises naturally but these also are illegal in Oz.
If you give them adequate oxygen (filter or air pump) they will breathe through their gills, otherwise will have to go up and down for air occasionally. They are not in my opinion very fascinating to keep as they can sit quite motionless for hours, but they do liven up at feeding time. They will eat any form of meat given but especially love earthworms. Sometimes they may bite each others legs off accidentally at feeding time,but they can also regrow lost limbs.
That's about all I know and for all I know your not even thinking of axollotyls(how do I spell axollotyll correctly I wonder?)

No parko, not axylotals, have them, Salamandas are sold at both kellyville pets and aqualand aquariums, parramatta. like I said not sure what species they are but they are definatly salamandas, i expect they must be legall to sell in petshops here in nsw since kellyville pets is rather a prominent and well known shop, not likely to engage in illegal activity. i will look up their site try to find species name and get back to you.

Goodluck Wattso....Kellyville Pets site is 1% helpful :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back