salamandas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope your right Wattso cause salamanders and newts are great. I presumed they'd become illegal because shops stopped selling them in the late nineties. From my experience (2 or 3 different newt species and axo's they're all easy to keep) Most will eat thawed frozen tubifex but prefer live. The cheapest way is to start a worm farm and pick out the appropriate sized worms for them. Most salamanders/newts like to climb out of water occasionally so supply a log or rock for them. If they can get japanese fire bellied newts for you I recommend them as they are hardy and also beautifull.

Thanx Parko, i'll call both shops tomorrow and get the run down on legallity , species etc and post to this thread. :D

nice striking color Parko, dont recall seeing ones like this in the shop tho, will try to add pic of avail species tomorrow
cynops_pyrrhogaster_juv_miller_2.jpg

THATS IT! THATS THE ONE! HA HA HA :lol: aren't they great?

Parko, it appears you are right mate, they are Ambystoma mexicanun ~ axolotls that have been artificially morphed here in australia, hence the legality. Apparently they are weakened by the process of artificial metamorphosis and only live a few years. axolotls on the other hand live for quite a few years. At $145 a pop ,I think not. Apparently the "morph yourself" approach is very tricky too. So naturally morphed salamanders and newts are illegal .probly to protect the species from witches[eye of newt...he he] here is an interesting article about them. Damn shame tho, the japanese redbelly is very nice.
http://www.caudata.org/axolotl/tiger_salamander.htm

Wow looks like I'm doubly right. :lol:

It's not tricky at all, it's easy to do. The Thyroxin method is the best, I have done it successfully on dozens of occasions. I've even won an Aquarium Society of NSW show in that class (many years ago). They can also be naturally morphed by lowering the level of their water over a period of time but it's a slow process and a pain in the **** to do.
Japanese Fire Newts are also easy to keep. You need a good secure lid on your tank as they can and will get out and walk across your carpet, dry out and die. Trust me, I know.

Bugger, dunno how I did that, bloody keyboard! lol
Greg, site above says lowering water method is a myth??????

Did you ring kellyville wattso? I think the ones I saw were blue??

they eat anything they can fit in there mouth including tank matesd legs feed em on insects earthworms or special pellets im getting my sis an yellow axolotl for christams

I like the look of these fire bellied salamanders, but where can we get them ....axolotyls sell for about $25 here in queensland...The fire bellied salamander is more what I thought when I meant "are they native to Australia?'

You can no longer purchase salamanders or newts in Australia,if you look on your amphibian keepers licence it will state that the keeping of all amphibians other than the following listed blah blah blah, Newts (fire belly is a newt i think) were made illegal in Australia sometime in the late 90's, there are no native newts or salamanders to Oz. The authorities probably would have loved to make Axollotyl's illegal as well but there are too many already being kept to do so I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back