salamanders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drapes11

Not so new Member
Reaction score
two questions,

1, can we keep salamaners in QLD

2, where do you get them

Well yes we can keep salamanders in Queensland, sort of. The Axolotl is the 'juvenile' form of the Mexican salamander, some of them can be transformed into adulthood and some seem to have lost the ability. There seems to be all kinds of theories as to what it takes to transform them, adding iodine to the water or just slowly reducing the amount of water will trigger the change. They are available in most big pet shops and Sunday markets but there are no guarantees they will become a salamander.
Good luck

but there are no guarantees they will become a salamander.
when i was little i had five of them and back then i didn't know any better and never toped up the water and all five of them turned into salamanders mum then sold them to a pet shop but if its done right they should all do it acording to most of the people i have talked to about this as i was looking at getting some myself

Apparently some have lost the ability from being inbred or whatever but not all can change.

I once seen two salamanders for sale in a reptile shop in wodonga, which has since closed down. I was wanting to know if they can be bought as salamanders as you can buy them in britain and america

Overseas you can buy a multitude of different species of salamander, here if you are lucky you might find an adult Mexican salamander.

im interested in salamanders too. i have only seen them once and that was at St George Aquarium, Sydney. Oh and i saw them at kellyville pets (i think it was there) ages ago but they were not for sale, just on display.

Hi People,
I cannot answer your question about QLD requirements but I have a morphed and non morphed sally. You can induce them to morph as boa said or buy them already "done". Funny little fellas, I've had mine for six years now. They were for sale a while back from Kellyville petshop NSW and they were asking $250.00 each. Here is a photo of mine (sorry poor pics), I have often asked about this legal anomoly but never got a straight answer. I think maybe they are classed as a fish because of the presence of gills (initially) and so are a legal exotic. One of the examples of our silly system IMO. Oh and I believe (correct me if wrong) that the ACT petshops which sell some reptiles cannot sell axolotyls to unlicensed people, the exact opposite to here in NSW.

Cheers,

very unusual and ugly. is that what they turn into, i think i prefer them as Axolotls

Jason said:
very unusual and ugly. is that what they turn into, i think i prefer them as Axolotls

:cry: :cry: :cry: He isnt ugly he is just different..... Although his nickname is freak :wink:

$250 :shock: An axolotl is only $20, that's a good mark up.

Back in the 80's newts and salamanders were commonly sold in pet shops in Sydney. I had Japanese fire bellies which are absolutely spectacular, i also had a cpl other types of newts, cant remember what type though as i was just a kid. My understanding is that it became illegal in the late 80's or early 90's to sell salamanders and newts but because axolotyls were already so established in australian households that they were made exempt.
Great to see that your morphed axolotyls have survived so long olivehydra because it is said that metamorphosising axolotyls will greatly reduce their lifespan, considering they may live up to 20 years or so i guess yours are still young though really.

*Awwwww* that second pic is sooooo cute olivehydra! :D
Thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back