salt lamps??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempest404

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
just wondering if a salt rock lamp used inside a custom enclosure as a feature and basking point would be bad for anything inside. i know the drop humidity but i didn't think this would matter if keeping an arid species, but i was wondering about it being a basking point due to the salt possibly removing moisture from the animal directly.

is purely for looks and presents a 58C belly warmer for mah ackie when i get him.

opinions any one?

I would assume the Ackie would much prefer a heat lamp rather then a hot rock.

Rick

In my experience, salt lamps kind of melt, and leach salt everywhere around them. I had one that almost ruined a tv unit I had, it had to be fully sanded back and re-varnished because the salt leached out and peeled the varnish. I have no idea what effect they'd have on melamine (assuming you'd be building the enclosure out of melamine)

In my experience, salt lamps kind of melt, and leach salt everywhere around them. I had one that almost ruined a tv unit I had, it had to be fully sanded back and re-varnished because the salt leached out and peeled the varnish. I have no idea what effect they'd have on melamine (assuming you'd be building the enclosure out of melamine)

Ah yes. I had a similar incident, it leaked/melted on a pine coffee table an almost destroyed it.

Rick

I think you can get a similar type of lamp but made with Quartz, may be a safer option.

Had one for a year now no issues like that :/... hmmmm did you guys keep your on a lot or let them sit? If you don't turn it on a couple times a day they'll absorb the humidity from the atmosphere and leak apparently but mines almost always or so that's what ins heard

mine leaked on humid days, but it wasnt really being used anymore at the time, it melted all the paint off the wall under where it sat.
Tehy do look pretty cool, but i probably wouldnt bother with one in an enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back