Saltuarius Swaini – Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nik

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lucky enough to get a Saltuarius Swaini – Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko in the DECC ballot. I pick it up tomorrow and just wanted to double check I have the set up right.

The info I have is

- make rock stacks for him to get between
- Vertical set up is best
- Sand/peat mix substrate
- Temps under 30deg
- shallow water bowl
- mist daily
- don't need light, heat or UV
- feed roaches, crickets

Am I right so far?

I'd also like to know what temps are best and how often everyone feeds their geckos, I've read everything from everyday to once a week.

Thanks

i keep the phyllurus platurus which is also known as the southern leaf tailed gecko and i dont think its too different from the swaini.

yeah i use rocks, horizontal setup but i dont think it really matters, sand, usually keep it around room temp with the heat mat (extra accessory), mist daily and feed with both crix and roaches but mostly crickets. and i use a tube in there for light.

hope that helps

i have heard and read that they don't need heating and sometimes need perminate cooling!

i have heard and read that they don't need heating and sometimes need perminate cooling!

they are most active in the wild at temperatures between 16 and 23 degrees. can be kept at room temperature and doesn't cope with heat well.exo-terra terrariums are best, i don't think stacking rocks would be of any value. feed daily. good substate is sphagnum moss which helps keep a good humidity.

they are most active in the wild at temperatures between 16 and 23 degrees. can be kept at room temperature and doesn't cope with heat well.exo-terra terrariums are best, i don't think stacking rocks would be of any value. feed daily. good substate is sphagnum moss which helps keep a good humidity.

Chilli - I disagree about the rock stack being of little value - I had a large stack of old roof tiles at my last place. If I moved even a quarter of the stack I could find in excess of 10 - 15 leaf tails living in there...living in a large bush style yard the majority were choosing the stack of tiles...says something for them...

Aslan,

Was your last place in Sydney.. ?

If so it wouldn't of been Saltuarius swaini instead probably Phyllurus platurus.
They don't share the same habitat preference.

Thanks everyone,

Is sand ok when they are small, the gecko is about 3-4cm. I'm not sure if it's ok for him to be getting bits of sand with his roaches.

Nicole

Aslan,

Was your last place in Sydney.. ?

If so it wouldn't of been Saltuarius swaini instead probably Phyllurus platurus.
They don't share the same habitat preference.

Australis - Yes, it was - were definately Phyllurus platurus - my error.

Oh dear... how could they get that so wrong?

Well, at least the rock stack will go to good use.

So is it a Phyllurus platurus?

I really don't mind what type of gecko it is, I just want the set up to be right for it.

Jason they were all handed out as swaini.Go figure huh? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back