Sand Monitor Info

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never kept them, however was at Featherdale Wildlife Park yesterday and they had one on display, I was VERY impressed by the look and personality and might start looking into them as a possible avenue somewhere down the line...

Yeah, I have liked them for a while and am interested in getting one in the long run, I'm just trying to get as much info as possible in order to make sure I can care for it correctly and give it the best life possible.

ive worked with a few and three things i notice is>
they are extreamly inteligent as soon as they go into a cage they know how to open it and will sit for hours trying to open a sliding glass door.
they will eat forever. you can put a food item in its cage any time and it will not go uneaten
Temper. ive herd of nice ones but never actually met one. some will give u typical monitor show hiss's but most will take it further.
hope this helps in some way

All i have is some pics, I was so shattered when this guy (Rufus) died I told my self I wouldnt get another. I know i probably will though.
This one was a mothers day present for the Mrs so it sort of became part of the family pretty quick.:(
They are my favourite monitor to keep,they love lots of sand,lots of space and very very hot spot
ruf2.jpg

ruf8.jpg

ruf7.jpg

I have been keeping 1 for about 1 and half years now and I think there awesome. Lots of personality, and its true about there appetites will eat anything you give them at any time. I handle mine a fair bit so its seems tame, You just have to make sure you dont smell like food. He hasnt bitten YET but im allways cortious as these monitors can get to a decent size. He's about 70-80cm and i feed him every 2nd to 3rd day with 3 adult mice. I think i have some pics in my gallery if your interested,

Cheers,

Jason

Nah but ill get some over the next couple of days. He lives in an avairy 3mL x 2.5mW x 1.8mH

I kept him inside up until last month now his outside. Here is a recent shot of him

Attachments

• Sandy 03.JPG
    Sandy 03.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 148
Well he was sold to me as a flavi but im not too sure. This will be his 1st year outside so i hope he will be allright. The avairy is set up so i can prity much close the whole thing off from the outside world. Im also going to install some heating to make sure he doesnt get too cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back