Sand Monitor Info

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grow up ouzo, atleast he seems to be thinking of the animals well being rather than making a pet out of a reptile.

Last edited:
Well I hope you don't handle your snakes ever then Cris. Cos it's certainly not benefiting them at all. A snake wants nothing more than to be left the hell alone so if you handle your snakes then surely that's in YOUR best interests because you enjoy them and want to be able to interact with them. I see nothing wrong with wanting to be able to handle my animals...and I rarely do that anyway. In terms of handling animals I see it 2 ways: you either handle them regularly so that when they get used to it things like cleaning cages etc are as least stressful as possible, or you never handle them and they absolutely crap themselves when you have to chase and catch the poor buggers just to do cage maintenance...which is better? And anyway, why should I sit back here and have some little kid lecture me about a species he's never kept when I'm doing nothing but going by the advice I was given by a reptubale breeder?

i have one little guy he is about 7 months old and he is the coolest thing i have they have so much personality i find if you get monitors really young and handle them they calm down i get him out for 5 to 10 mins a day while i watch tv and he falls asleep on me while i pat him they are a must have

OuZo, I am not saying that you shouldn't handle your animals, it's just you are going about it the wrong way. Monitors are smart creatures, they learn trust over time.
Cheers for the info Liasis.

Please stop the abusive pms :lol:

Lmao get over yourself!

My point mr burrito was that if you've never kept them how can you tell an experienced breeder that he's going about it the wrong way?

It felt weird to me to not give him a hide either

Your saying yourself that this approach goes against the norm. Fact is this is a different approach so expect some criticism. Basic principles suggest that this approach may cause serious stress to the animal. However what hasn't been explicitly states (only suggested) is that the enclosure is far from any high traffic areas which substantially reduces the potential stress to the animal.

By publishing anything (and by that I mean write anything down) you can expect your fair share of criticism and compliments. At the moment you've only presented an idea without results, an idea that is different to many basic principles of reptile keeping. If you comment down the track that this approach has worked wonders I'll be the first to sing your praises as challenging the norm is how the hobby grows. But at the moment you have not proved your approach so expect criticism like all those that came before you.

Ouzo, even if it does work to tame the animal its bordering on cruelty IMO, im sure if you check the laws it probably could be seen as illegal to deprive an animal in such a way. Its is illegal in Qld anyway, as it should be.

What Mr Buttito said was basic common sence and im sure the majority of monitor keepers would agree with what he has said regardless of how long they have or havnt been keeping.

There is nothing wrong with making him lose fear of you, its the means that i have an issue with.

Ouzo, even if it does work to tame the animal its bordering on cruelty IMO, im sure if you check the laws it probably could be seen as illegal to deprive an animal in such a way. Its is illegal in Qld anyway, as it should be.

Oh spare me :lol:

That's it, the next newbie that I see on here asking 'how do I tame my snake' who gets responses from people on here like 'just handle it for a few minutes every day' etc etc will get a flaming :lol:

Do you handle your snakes Cris? You never answered her Q. Because that could be causing unnecessary stress on the snake! Isn't it weird when someone flips the mirror on you :D

From what I have learned from watching my herps over the years, if one is stressed it will go off it's food, get ill and eventually die if the owner doesn't open their eyes to the problem.

OuZo - is your monitor eating and behaving normally? If if's not, then go buy it a hide, but if it IS acting perfectly normally and has a healthy appetite then I think that you must be doing something right and the reputable breeder that you bought him from obviously has some idea what he's talking about. Funny that, he manages to breed them ey?? :lol:

As for this 'cruelty' crap, gee that's rich when people go on about killing cats bacuse guess what?? They're not a herp!! :lol:

I'm calling it! DOUBLE STANDARDS!!!

Thanks for the laugh boys ;)

Bex

Do you handle your snakes Cris? You never answered her Q. Because that could be causing unnecessary stress on the snake! Isn't it weird when someone flips the mirror on you :D Actually i dont play with my snakes like they are toys, i only handle them when required, the reason i didnt reply earlier is because its not relevant to the thread.

From what I have learned from watching my herps over the years, if one is stressed it will go off it's food, get ill and eventually die if the owner doesn't open their eyes to the problem. Way off the mark, if a monitor goes off its food when unexpected it would only be because of a serious problem.

OuZo - is your monitor eating and behaving normally? Yeah is it hiding, digging and foraging around various hides? can it get into an insulated area to hold its heat? can it go to a secure place when threatened? etc. If if's not, then go buy it a hide, but if it IS acting perfectly normally and has a healthy appetite then I think that you must be doing something right and the reputable breeder that you bought him from obviously has some idea what he's talking about. Funny that, he manages to breed them ey?? :lol: They are a very hardy species(although flighty) and i think its sad that someone with experience gives such dodgy advice.

As for this 'cruelty' crap, gee that's rich when people go on about killing cats bacuse guess what?? They're not a herp!! :lol: I actually said bordering on cruelty and it would be illegal to treat an animal like that in Qld(probably NSW too). I would encourage ppl to kill all cats humanely(not ppl's pets obviously), i have never encouraged cruelty at all. I also kill herps on a regular basis(AHG's and cane toads only) again humanely so its absolutely nothing to do with cruelty.

I'm calling it! DOUBLE STANDARDS!!!

Thanks for the laugh boys ;) maybe you should grow up, i hardly see this as a joke :|

Bex

Anyway this is Mr Burrito's(aka a turd by Ouzo) thread, its supposed to be about monitors not ppl having a go at each other because they cant take constructive criticism without taking it as a personal attack.

how can he have a choice of temps with a bare cage, monitors need to hide its part of what they do as being monitors.
sand monitors dig. deep under ground its dark ,cool and humid in a barrow.
your cage offers none of those.
it looks small for its age.

Cris,

For starters, nobody's playing with anything like a "toy" as you put it. I'm not even saying you shouldn't handle snakes but if you're going to say that reptiles shouldn't be treated like pets then I would have expected that you never handle them unless absolutely necessary. Ease up a bit - you've just pretty much accused everyone who handles their snakes of not treating their animals properly.

Your second comment is confusing...a monitor will only go off it's food if there's a SERIOUS problem? As in an incredibly stressed poorly and cruelly treated animal without a hide wouldn't be enough to stop it eating, gaining weight and growing?

Yes, he's digging, running around the cage and hiding around his brick and water bowl occasionally. Would you like me to let the breeder know that you think he's being irresponsible by giving out information on how best to cruelly treat a goanna? And I mean that as a serious question...

hiding around his brick and water bowl

I think many people have the wrong impression about your cage setup Ouzo, if your monitor can hide between a brick and a melmine wall (based on your pic) then essentially there is a hide in the enclosure.

I think a lot of the reaction was to a bare enclosure with nout but a waterbowl. Which you would probably agree wouldn't be in the best interest of a Sand Monitor.

Cris,

For starters, nobody's playing with anything like a "toy" as you put it Some ppl do IMO i wasnt talking about you. I'm not even saying you shouldn't handle snakes but if you're going to say that reptiles shouldn't be treated like pets then I would have expected that you never handle them unless absolutely necessary. Ease up a bit - you've just pretty much accused everyone who handles their snakes of not treating their animals properly. The post where i said "making a pet out of a reptile" was a poor choice of words(i edited most of it out because i responded to you calling Mr burrito a turd and it wasnt any benifit to the thread), it just seemed that you are putting taming infront of proper care, you were doing it under what you considered good advice, i just have a differant opinion

Your second comment is confusing...a monitor will only go off it's food if there's a SERIOUS problem? As in an incredibly stressed poorly and cruelly treated animal without a hide wouldn't be enough to stop it eating, gaining weight and growing? probably not IMO if its in OK health

Yes, he's digging, running around the cage and hiding around his brick and water bowl occasionally. Would you like me to let the breeder know that you think he's being irresponsible by giving out information on how best to cruelly treat a goanna? yes, i think telling new monitor keepers not to let them have hides is very wrong, they are the main person i have criticised

Also I dont doubt you have the best intentions for your monitor. Maybe the enclosure isnt as bad as the impression you have given. I think its time to calm down :)

i have to agree on the giving of hide areas,especially for monitors,i find that monitors r alot happier when they have the security of hide areas,all mine have multible hides of varying temps through out there cages,from pygmy mulgas up to lacies ,and they can still tame up if they have a hide area,but each to there own,just my 2 cents

hi mr burrito,i keep lacies,mertons,ridgeys,storrs and pygmy mulgas at the moment,am getting some spencers as we speak,lol,and others to come when i have the coin to purchase,im a big fan of monitors,but can say that about all lizards,loland partial to pythons to,but only have a few of those,so far anyways,u could say im addicted,have been since i had my first bluey at 5 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back