Save the Planet - Eat Skippy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i know roo meat is a lot leaner than other forms, but does anyone know any of the other nutritional benefits? is there anything lacking in roo meat that beef or lamb have, or is there anything extra it has that the others dont?

seems like a bunch of REDNECKS and with the likes of these types of you tube vids ,entertainment for the rednecks only ...as was said a proper company wouldnt allow such behaviour... no matter how its done ,it still wouldnt be pleasant to watch any animal die anyway ...even when givin the injection where no pain is involved or violence ,it still is disturbing to see this for any creature great or small .. but truth be told we have a great native animal that tastes good and is better for us so if done in the most humane way then I am all for eating roo and other native animals...you guys that have a problem obviously have not been through a feedlot where the cattle are contained untill slaughter ..you wanna see cruel come out bush and go visit one of those type of places ..you will get the bigger picture then ...BEEF DOESNT COME FROM PACKETS AND MILK DOESNT COME FROM CARTONS!.....

Environmentally I see the benefit and I don't have a problem eating sustainably harvested wild animals - native or otherwise - in fact I prefer it to the idea of intensively farmed animals.

But bleurgh!!! To me kangaroo will always be pet food - we fed it to our animals before it became 'gourmet' and the smell just reminds me of the individual portions of roo mince we used to thaw in the microwave when we forgot to get it out of the freezer. Turns my stomach I'm afraid...

i know roo meat is a lot leaner than other forms, but does anyone know any of the other nutritional benefits? is there anything lacking in roo meat that beef or lamb have, or is there anything extra it has that the others dont?

I have heard that it is higher in iron than beef but not sure how true that is. Just the lack of so many chemicals is enough for me to try more of it. Shopping on Thursday, tea will be Roo Rissoles. Anyone got any really good recipes for Roo?

DONT COOK IT TO LONG .....it marinates beautifully and the meat needs to be seared on a hot plate thats the key hot and quick to cooking roo meat...

Roo meat can be absolutely delicious if its cooked right. However, it can be horrendous if its either too rare or too overcooked. Its a meat that can go tough very easily.

DONT COOK IT TO LONG .....it marinates beautifully and the meat needs to be seared on a hot plate thats the key hot and quick to cooking roo meat...

Actually if you are careful you can cook in a casserole. If you cube the meat and marinate it lightly in olive oil (and garlic, coriander etc.) and lightly toss it till just coloured and then remove it to a bowl before browning off the other ingredients like onions, vegies etc. Add your stock (or some vegetable or tomato juice - canned is ok) and get it to a simmer so it is just bubbling and add the roo back in and let it cook for an hour or so longer. You may want to thicken the gravy before serving. Seriously delishous and seriously healthy.

Roo meat can be absolutely delicious if its cooked right. However, it can be horrendous if its either too rare or too overcooked. Its a meat that can go tough very easily.

My standard roo dish is to cut it into strips about an inch square and marinate it in dried coriander and a generous amount of olive oil. Cook on a high heat to until nicely marked on all sides and then remove to a dish in a warm place (like inside the cooling bbq).

I usually serve on a bed of rice (saffron rice is good... but adding a bit of turmeric to the rice also gives it nice colour.) Ad some steamed vegetables and you are done!

I want to add some other stats as well:

When these gases are ranked by their contribution to the greenhouse effect, the most important are:

* water vapor, which contributes 36–70%
* carbon dioxide, which contributes 9–26%
* methane, which contributes 4–9%
* ozone, which contributes 3–7%

Without water vapour in our upper atmosphere the overall earth temperature would be around -15'C average! Brrrrrrr

Typical Slimey defending New Zealand :p hahaha just joking mate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back