Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angelrose

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, thanks for all the lovely Pm's from those who missed me, its lovely to come home to stuff like that, for those who didnt miss me/know i was gone/ didnt care lol.... I just spent a week in Sydney, i drove up last tuesday and arrived back this afternoon, being monday.

The purpose for my trip was to pick up some lovely new animals which i will post pictures of later, they are a male and a female 2yo bredli, and a males and 2 female hatchling Water pythons, which happen to be the most stunning creatures i have ever seen, as well as a couple of the most placid, well tempered, loveable beardies from one aps member to another as a little courier. It was lovely to meet team sherman, he looks heaps different in person and is a top bloke.

I also had the absolute PRIVALIGE of attending the AHS meeting held at the Australian Museum hosted by the AHS newletter editor and long time friend Andrew Peterson and with guest Speaker Gerry Swan (A Complete Guide to REPTILES of Australia By Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan amoung others)who has spent the last 5 months working with Steve Wilson (author of A FIELD GUIDE TO REPTILES OF QUEENSLAND and co author with Gerry on the above field guide Aus amoung many others) 28 days on 7 days of 430 am to 6pm in 40 degree heat as a (Fauna Protection officer) in QLD rescuing animals who had fallin into 1.2-1.8 metre trench 465km (50km at a time) long by 2feet wide from Mackay to townsville ( in a right of way no larger than 30feet wide at any time which you could not leave or be fired for trespass etc....) for a company laying methane gas pipes. He told tales of over 3300 species of animals majority being herps and had slides of on the spot photography of more than 50 of the most spectacular of the animals, he will email me the list of animals found and where as soon as the qld university and museum have released the copyright crap some of you will really be intrested in some of the discoveries several being out of range by up to 230kms and one of the endangereds being found more than 130 times in one area... endangered... or just hide well......the technique used that worked well was teaving saw dust bags every 500 meters drenched in water overngiht, lift them up in the morning and find whatever was underneath.... the only thing that wasnt saved, was cane toads, which just for your info, were not MISTREATED either....despite some extremely creative suggestions by some of the working from tying them to the back ont he trucks and dragging to games of gulf..... those that could get out got out, those that didnt were dead within days but none were rescue, after the first 500 or so... they just gave up...... I was entirely enralled by gerry's slide show and talk and had only a million questions afterwards despite having not slept in 3 days and just driven 12 hours non stop from sydney 8 hours earlier.... I also meet lots of lovely herpetologists, vets, animals rescue officers, and other herp keepers, lovers, and family, and took part in a raffle (didnt win) and a whiteboard tradingpost of herps. Which is one of the only ways a herp keeper can trade in NSW if they dont have the internet. Also met a lovely young cape york no more than 3 months old rescued after the owner lost him, reported him lost, then moved away, never to be seen again, but the snake was found, the appropriate rescue worker called and he turned up at our meeting, lovely little thing, and i was happy to identify it for them from the pictures of the beutifull cape yorks you guys have been flashing around recently....

I then had a lovely drive up to Newcastle (after a long sleep) and to Popp's place in the middle of nowhere to meet him (Geoff) and his lovely wife and 2 gorgeous children and i also got the see his Shop site, which will hopefully be opening real soon, and his house which in all gods truth is a reptile park all of its own and could give ARP a run for it's money..... wow, you literally could not move without tripping into an enclosure with SOMETHING in it.... it was awe inspiring, it really was.

I also got to spend some time with my great nieces and nephew and sister and bro in law, pics to come later, who i really didnt want to leave, i cant believe how quickly kids grow these days.....

I caught up with many Sydney friends and family including my bro in law, (hubby's bro) who lives in the funkiest part of the city (newtown) has about a million friends all dropping it at once who though it was the most awesome thing in the world to be bitten over and over by my new little water pythons, who were happy to oblige at all times....

I plugged APS at the AHS meeting several times, so hopefully we should be getting some new herpie friends soon and i urge you all to become a member, as the perks are great, and the newletter is extremely informative, and its not expensive at all.... and there is no law that says you can't be a member of as many societies as u like, they hire out the aussie museum for their meetings and have crazy blue tongue brewery sponsered camping trips for herping, and free beer, hehe.

From the hundred or so people i met there that night, they seem like an awesome great bunch of people.

On a sad note, i lost a young beardie to a blocked intenstine treated too late and too young to be operable while i was away, which makes me very sad, and i urge you all to stay away from the beardie pellets untill they are about 3 months old at least, on the advice of the vet who told me that he see's gut and intenstine block all the time caused by it and most of the people within earshot had similar stories, and if you ever notice a baby beardie with constipation, lethargy, a lump in the tummy or tail near the cloaca, and no appetite, give them a tiny drop of pure olive oil and send them packing to the vet asap.... please, as i waited too long, and lost one.

On a lighter note, i really did have an awesome time in Sydney, so much has changed in the 6 months since i lived there, and i cant wait for my next visit, im sorry i couldn't catch up with many of you while i was there, but those that i did, hi and nice to neet you all.

On the trip there and back, i had my eyes peeled for all sorts of Fauna and this is a short list of everything spotted. All at night, in the dark, under the high beams, )coz i always travel at night being a vampyre an all.) (ps, my sister has a blue tongue and a very large goanna living in her backyard in berowra hieghts backing into a great herping forestry gorge and i didnt see a damn thing other than a skin of a ven, possibly a bts from her roof.... doh!!)

Lots and lots of Notonesinglefu Ckingsnakeyei

6 or 7 Runningis Rabbiteye

5 or 6 morestunnedfu ckingbunneyei

1 womat fatsotomos

more roadkill than anyone should ever have to see, i swear people see it as sport...

1 reallybigfu ckingkangaroorus

2 babycuteness wallabyarus

lots of foxes, bats, roos in stuff...or... and sheep.. damn i saw lots and lots of sheep....

I also heard on the radio, that a confectionary company in the states have made a jelly roadkill candy, complete with tire marks and all.... they animals are chickens, possums, snakes, and i forget the other one, the television ad has had protestors outside the studio for 2 days as it features the animals being turned into roadkill with no disclaimer (no animals were hurt blah blah) and people are outraged that they actually did kill them for the ad for one thing, but two, that one of the cars in the ad actually swerves to hit the snake on the road..... shyte like this really does make me sick, and i hope like hell it never makes it to australia or i might just have to kill someone........

I promise i will post pics as soon as hubby gets the off the camera... which could be tomorrow... but i will....

thanks for reading this far, i know its a long one....

Angel

Sounds like a fantastic time overall, way to go! :D

On a sad note, i lost a young beardie to a blocked intenstine treated too late and too young to be operable while i was away, which makes me very sad, and i urge you all to stay away from the beardie pellets untill they are about 3 months old at least, on the advice of the vet who told me that he see's gut and intenstine block all the time caused by it and most of the people within earshot had similar stories, and if you ever notice a baby beardie with constipation, lethargy, a lump in the tummy or tail near the cloaca, and no appetite, give them a tiny drop of pure olive oil and send them packing to the vet asap.... please, as i waited too long, and lost one.

Would i be right in guessing that a cause of intestinal blockage from beardie pellets, might be a tendancy to feed them without having soaked them really well first? Ive been paranoid about swelling them to the max with friut juice or water before feeding incase they eat half dry ones, then they swell inside them.......would be much like bc paper pellets i imagine?
Sorry to hear about your bluie Angel, I might have babys next season, mine are growing fast, ill keep you in mind. :wink:

what a fantastic trip you must have had.
living bush i have the greatest pleasure in life in as i see the Runningis Rabbiteye, morestunnedfu ckingbunneyei, womat fatsotomos, reallybigfu ckingkangaroorus as a part of my every day life and have a babycuteness wallabyarus that lives with us.. i see the most realybigfu ckinghumongus goannas on a daily basis (one day ill remember to take a pic) that forage through the farms dump (eating feral kittens)

it was fantastic to see it all through someones eyes that isnt as lucky as me to see it every day.

thankyou you have just refreshed that lucky feeling

My hands .What was going through your mind you sicko :wink:

I would love seeing the goannas eating the kittens that would be a highlight of my day ! can you get a vid for me ?

my son was throwing rubbish in the dump a week ago and we always look for the goannas just so you know where they are.. this day we didnt see any so he threw the rubbish and up comes that rather large specimen.. and touched his leg on the way past.. im not sure who was more afraid the goanna or my son but the boy had to go change his underwear..

i have a video of a goanna that used to come up to the house for a feed, i would sit in the verandah and throw bits of meat for it or roll eggs.. it was sooo friendly one day when i was late for the feed i found it atempting to get into the house..
i ahd a red bellied black chasing me around the yard one day(i dont know why but it was chasing).. when hubby could control his laughter he (sorry to say) dispatched the extremly agressive snake.. the goanna came that avo and rolled in the dead snake like a dog rolls on a rotten carcass and then ate it..

Re: RE: Sydney Trip

Hi Hi, actually, no, i am fanatical about soaking the pellets till absolute mushieness, but unfortunately, sometime after getting home late, i gwet them out and the apple juice in all dried up, so i wouldnt be surprised if this is the cause..... :((((

I did, i really did have a fantastic time, i missed all my peeps and pets way too much though, and i didnt get to catch up with half the people i want to due to one or both of us having other commitments at exactly the wrong time, or some just not being bothered, but thats ok... i only drove up from melbourne to see you................ but never mind...

Anyone coming down this way is welcome to pop in for a beer and a barbie. :)

Angel

Ps no cramps were formed during the making of this post, authorised by A R Harden, Werribee Melbourne Victoria for the aps party, australia.

instar said:
Sounds like a fantastic time overall, way to go! :D

Would i be right in guessing that a cause of intestinal blockage from beardie pellets, might be a tendancy to feed them without having soaked them really well first? Ive been paranoid about swelling them to the max with friut juice or water before feeding incase they eat half dry ones, then they swell inside them.......would be much like bc paper pellets i imagine?
Sorry to hear about your bluie Angel, I might have babys next season, mine are growing fast, ill keep you in mind. :wink:

That would have to be the longest post in history wouldnt it, sounds like fun though, i have to lay down after reading it all......

lol funny sig Moose, would it be "stunning.......er....runts"? :lol:

had a small play with those bredls on the weekend.. great animals. fantastic nature too. I think Im still missing a finger or two from those baby waters tho angel.. nippy little things that they are.. lol.. absolutely gorgeous though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back