Scared of Being Bit HELP!?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakes123

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Heyy everyone,

A few of you may know i got a snake :D Finally! Well he was fine on the day of pick up, only one strike (which was my fault)

But now i have got him out to start handeling and hes just striking everywhere. Im wearing gloves so im ok with that. But i cant bring myself to just being bit. Hes only 80cm and a small head but im terified. Can anyone help me with it, like what i should do?

Thanks

Get bitten and realise its not that bad :)

I still flinch at times after 7 years of owning snakes, I don't know anyone who wouldn't. Its a natural reaction but the only was to 'overcome' it is to get bitten.

Take the gloves of an cop one then you'll know that it doesn't hurt mate

lol what you get a jungle?
Let him settle a bit... once your bit youll realise its nothing...
Make a fist and put it in its face...get bit and get over the fear as if you dont youll continue to build it in your mind until you freak out so much you sell the snake..
When picking up try and do it when its curled up and just scoop it up with your hands quickly... like your catching a moth..then slowly open your hands and let it cruise around..
If you grab it when its all stretched out it will panic and strike.. also dont give it time to think when picking it up..

Ive got a hook but i dont like using it on him really.

But thats what im scared of just any kind of bite. Im so scared haha even when he was nipping the glove i was jumping. I think it might also be me pulling away when hes atatched that im worried about, i dont want to hurt him.

once you get bitten and realise it isnt that bad you will calm down and the snake can sense this , they react to your fear as well

Ive got a hook but i dont like using it on him really.

But thats what im scared of just any kind of bite. Im so scared haha even when he was nipping the glove i was jumping. I think it might also be me pulling away when hes atatched that im worried about, i dont want to hurt him.

Your going to have to "like" using the hook if your scared of being tagged... hopefully he settles down for you.

Ditch the gloves, learn the use the hook.

You'll want to learn to use the hook if he grows into an adult and is still snappy, it makes things much more easy. In fact i'd go as far as saying hooks can be less stressful for the snake, just getting the snake out fast with no dramas rather than trying to do it with your hands and you're scared resulting in multiple attempts of trying to pick it up and uncoil it when it grabs onto furniture.

Well after all of that i made a fist like Bez84 said and just put my hand in. It took a while but i only have 2 tiny spots and thats it, just felt like some one was poking me :/ Thanks everyone, but how much more does it hurt when you get bit and he holds on, rather than just a nip?

how much more does it hurt when you get bit and he holds on, rather than just a nip?

They only hold on when it is a feeding bite. You won't have to worry about that unless you smell like rats or don't feed it enough haha.

HEAPS more. Think slamming your finger in a car door but with blood and puncture marks :)

Nah, not really. Not much more than a tag and release.

^ ahah thanks that makes me feel so much better. Well soon ill get him out for a hold with no gloves :eek:

Definately use the hook as less threatening and makes it easy to just lift the body a bit and slide you hand under and support the whole body easier :)

I think im fine with being bit on the hand now ive got afew marks from him now. Thanks im slowly getting over him. I just want him to be a good dosile snake.

Heres the bite. Haha dont know what i was scared of, although ive only been bit on the hand, not so keen on the arm yet :/

Attachments

• IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Holy crap, you better get to hospital asap, that's gonna need a blood transfusion! Hurry before you bleed out!

Can hardly tell it's there ya big sook! :p The only bite I've had 'hurt' from a small python was right on my finger tip haha

I think im fine with being bit on the hand now ive got afew marks from him now. Thanks im slowly getting over him. I just want him to be a good dosile snake.

Heres the bite. Haha dont know what i was scared of, although ive only been bit on the hand, not so keen on the arm yet :/

Looks real nasty... might need to get that hand amputated before it gets a lot worse. Glad your getting over your fears mate.

im slowly getting over him.
I just want him to be a good dosile snake.

Your getting over him.......already? :p
Maybe you should have bought a rubber one......even 'good' snakes are capable of biting! ;)

You got a bredli didnt you? Better get the nerves under control now while its still just a baby......unless your grandma is keen to take over for u!

Ok ill let you know once im out of surgery, probably 10 stitches maybe :p ah it didnt hurt. After every one was like it dosnt hurt um like thats it, i have to do it or ill never get over it. Went in picked up the hide and took a bite. haha But i still cant get bit anywhere from my hand im still to scared :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back