Scared of Sharks?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one I thought you all would like.
2cdb016f.jpg

Am I the only one who would love to be in the water with them? lol

I was off port Douglas years ago watching the sharks deep below wile snorkeling in about 60 feet of water... best feeling ever , you just let go...

The ones in the cage are scaredy - cats.'
The ones on top are thrill seekers.

Yes, Kathy, don't ever think fresh/brackish water is safe from sharks. I have a feeling (not quite sure) that Bull sharks have killed/maimed more people than any other species.
yup" 21 days of terror " is the movie [ based on real life]that had the bull sharks coming up into fresh water .

But I don't go in saltwater. I stay up river where the water is brackish or fresh.
We yaked up the Pumicestone Passage last year and I was pleasantly surprised at the number of sharks and rays sighted from the yak. My scaredy cat wife however...

yea when they bite us people think there trying to eat us when really there just saying hi
Three type of bites - feeding, defensive and territorial.
Feeding is self-explanatory though a lot of feeding attacks are aborted as humans don't feel or taste right. An aborted attack can still prove fatal. Whites will often bite once then move off until the prey has died from blood loss.
Defensive can occur if the shark is trapped or surprised. This is the common bite in rivers.
Territorial occurs after the shark does a warning dance to let you know you are not welcome. Possibly the shark is frisky and is defending its mating rights. At some point the shark will rush in and give you a single nip ( just 20-80 stitches). Rarely there are subsequent bites. Twice I have seen the dance and twice I've bravely turned my tail and fled. This is possibly the common bite in surf and beaches, a shark may dance at a swimmer who doesn't see it

Am I the only one who would love to be in the water with them? lol
Been there, done that. If you want a trip where you can almost guarantee a swim with the sharks experience I recommend Heron Island. Most of the sharks are only about a meter but there are enough two meter ones to make it almost exciting but the sharks there seem pretty wuzzy.

Some pics swimming with Galapogas Sharks at Lord Howe Island. Most were around the 1.5 m mark but the closest one in the first pic was over 2 m.
65aa31ec-ce8d-3c12.jpg

65aa31ec-cea7-055b.jpg

And yes Heron Island is great for Sharks, Lemon, White Tips and Black Tips, you don't even have to get in the water to see them.

OMG, are you behind the camera there? You must have a good zoom lens. Don't think I'd want to be that close to a shark.

Thanks for the freshwater advice. I will keep my wits about me more now. My husband did mention bull sharks in our river but I didn't believe him. And I don't go out in the middle either. I stick to the edges - the shark fear keeps me at the edges. I have a quick water exit if given the chance.

I'm not scared of sharks. Sharks are scared of me! Mainly due to my life size picture of Chuck Norris on the back of my wet suit.

The fear people have of these animals would be the same as those who fear reptiles. Lack of education and experience results in lack of understanding. It is probably easy to live with them, but not knowing, and only having movies as examples, will have plenty saying good sharks are dead sharks, just like they do with snakes. Sometimes I get a thought for wanting to go out and do a bit of education but thenthe likes of this video keeps from doing it

Caught on Video - Girl Attacked By Shark! - YouTube

Last edited:
I'm not scared of sharks. Sharks are scared of me! Mainly due to my life size picture of Chuck Norris on the back of my wet suit.

Lol I was waiting for a Chuck Norris comment :) They never get old.

The fear people have of these animals would be the same as those who fear reptiles. Lack of education and experience results in lack of understanding. It is probably easy to live with them, but not knowing, and only having movies as examples, will have plenty saying good sharks are dead sharks, just like they do with snakes. Sometimes I get a thought for wanting to go out and do a bit of education but thenthe likes of this video keeps from doing it

Caught on Video - Girl Attacked By Shark! - YouTube

Perhaps, but even with my knowledge of sharks, I still wouldn't go in with them for a couple of reasons,
1. There much bigger and stronger then we are, with multiple rows of sharp serrated teeth.
2. Where in water that we can't move anywhere close to the speed they can, so we can't get away if we need to.
3. As described in that video, sharks investigate things by nibbling on them first (like that one did to her leg), to see if it's edible or not. They don't have any hands to feel things with so they use there mouths.

Different species will act differantly though, the points I listed were aimed towards the Great White Shark.

Last edited:
hehe I'm watching "21 days of terror" tonight , then might go for a swim , haha

I have been lucky enough to do this in South Africa and the sharks are this big and bigger, its an amazing experience and so surreal under the water with them, they are so graceful and peaceful its hard to imagine how terrifying they can become. Definatley would recommend it to do :)

OMG, are you behind the camera there? You must have a good zoom lens. Don't think I'd want to be that close to a shark.

Thanks for the freshwater advice. I will keep my wits about me more now. My husband did mention bull sharks in our river but I didn't believe him. And I don't go out in the middle either. I stick to the edges - the shark fear keeps me at the edges. I have a quick water exit if given the chance.

Yes they are my pics, and didn't have a zoom Camera. In the first pic I was about a meter from the shark. At some stages there were as many as 10 sharks all very close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back