Scenting foods for spotted python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulie

Reaction score
hey i got a 5 year old spotted python and she has not eaten through winter as usual and even before that she has been barely eating my thawed mice that i offer. so over this winter i have started to breed mice and now its starting to heat up i wanted to start feeding her on pre killed mice, just curious if anyone out there scents there food before feeding and what scents you suggest if any have worked in the past. thanks for any comments.

Id try and feed her the mouse as is at first though failing that in a desperate situation catch a small garden skink make sure it is healthy then firmly hold the mouse and geantly rub the skink on and around the mouses body then of course let the skink go im not sure why this works but it has for many of my snakes plenty of times,they simply go from being not the slightest bit interested to eating as many as you offer them in a feeding session after about aweek or two.Also make sure that youre temps are nice and warm idealy 30`c in the day and 22`c during the night good luck and have a good one.

Just wait until the weather warms up then recommence feeding either prekilled or thawed.Temps should be 32/33 warm side and try to keep cool side ambient temps around 25C 24/7.
Do not scent with skink as you will only end up making the problem worse.

yeah my tanks a bit unusual because i have a bit of a different childrens python (i have been told) . my snake is alborial by nature so the tank is 4ft high x 2 x2 has a pretty constant 30 -32 but near light at top gets to around 40 before thermostat cuts off (should i be worried about this) the ground that its like 23 at coldest and a heat mat on the other side. so she uses everything and sleeps in a tree most of the time. when a snake looks hungry when you put the mouse in then when you get it close enough the snake turns away is this cause it doesnt like it or ?. thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back