scrambled eggs for beardys?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that they are a good source of protein for beardies so just to supplement my girls diet I might start giving once a week egg treats do you think they should be used or not?

Yes eggs are very healthy for them.i dont know if they should be kept as an occasional treat or not though.

Last edited by a moderator:
We feed ours eggs now and then. They don't like them sloppy though.
Cook them like you would an omelette and then cut it into bite size pieces.
We never just give one type of food in a bowl though.
we will give that with say, some lettuce, chopped up mushrooms or strawberries etc

We feed ours eggs now and then. They don't like them sloppy though.
Cook them like you would an omelette and then cut it into bite size pieces.
We never just give one type of food in a bowl though.
we will give that with say, some lettuce, chopped up mushrooms or strawberries etc

Fay, I have enormous respect for you, but I must query your comment above....

The following is taken from the "Nutrition Content of Foods For Bearded Dragons" (happy to supply anyone with a copy of this, just pm me)...

Lettuce: "Poor nutritional value, may cause diarrhea. Feeding: QUESTIONABLE
Mushrooms: "High phosphorous, WARNING - some mushrooms can be very toxic to Beardies. Feeding: QUESTIONABLE
Strawberries: High Vitamin C, moderate oxalate3s. Feeding: OCCASIONAL

Now, onto the egg.....
Egg - Whole, hard-boiled: "Feeding: RARELY"... These are REALLY high in Phosphorous (binds Calcium), very high in protein (as already established), but dragons' systems really can't cope with THAT much of a protein hit...

Strawberries are okay as a treat, but shouldn't be used as a staple (every day) item...

I really hope you don't get offended by this Fay, as it is certainly not my intention to do so... I just hope this little bit of information is helpful! :)

All the best,
Carolyn

I thought any lettuce but iceberg was fine, if not good for most vegetable eating critters. As far as I know, it's iceberg lettuce that's useless for everything. Different reptiles I know, but I feed my shingles lettuce (the fancy salad mix from the fruit market) just about every day, and they've had no ill effects.

Hi Carolyn,

I would like a copy of this "Nutrition Content of Foods For Bearded Dragons" if I may for further investigation.

I am always amazed why people go to so much trouble to feed bear dies such exotic (to them) foods? does it make the keeper feel better that their pets are eating expensive "human" foods?... all they need is handfuls of insects, whole Dandelion plants and a few hibiscus flowers, maybe a handful of Clover from time to time.... and they will thrive. Often these "human" foods do more harm than good.

i was only thinking to myself earlier today i wonder how many reptiles have died 'testing' what they can and cant eat in captivity

and thats all well and good Jason but i have a female i recently purchased and right now she refuses to eat anything BUT peas, ive offered her dandelions, rose petals and mixtures of vegies/fruits, will only eat a few crickets or woodies/mealworms

im hoping she will pick up once the warmer weather really kicks in, i keep offering her fresh stuff every few days and so far pea's are the only things eaten and yes i have gone a few days without putting any peas in but she just will NOT eat and will wait for peas and i feel that so long as shes at least eating 'something' its better then nothing

I am always amazed why people go to so much trouble to feed bear dies such exotic (to them) foods? does it make the keeper feel better that their pets are eating expensive "human" foods?... all they need is handfuls of insects, whole Dandelion plants and a few hibiscus flowers, maybe a handful of Clover from time to time.... and they will thrive. Often these "human" foods do more harm than good.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. No pun intended.

I am always interested in reading beyond some of these "fact sheets" though.

I feed simple and easy for my beardie's and never had any problems. Staple of bok choy and roaches. once or twice a week some pumpkin. maybe some corn every other week, with some clover thrown in. Thats it. very happy beardies runnin around here.

CHeers

and thats all well and good Jason but i have a female i recently purchased and right now she refuses to eat anything BUT peas, ive offered her dandelions, rose petals and mixtures of vegies/fruits, will only eat a few crickets or woodies/mealworms

Then there are other issues at play, I have kept a lot of beardies and bred thousands, and never had one that was fussy unless it was stressed or sick

Hi Carolyn,

I would like a copy of this "Nutrition Content of Foods For Bearded Dragons" if I may for further investigation.

Hey Wally!

My Nutrition Chart is the same one that Jeannine posted at post #12...

- - - Updated - - -

For what it's worth, while we're on the subject, my dragons' "Staple" salad consists of Bok Choy, Watercress, Endive, Parsley, Sweet Potato, Butternut Pumpkin, Yellow Squash, Parsnip and Red Capsicum.

I have been breeding these animals for fifteen years, not ONE hatchling leaves me NOT eating this salad. If, at a later stage in their new slaves' homes they 'choose' not to eat their salad, then I question husbandry...

My adult dragons have been on this mix for "ever", and with their crickets (dusted two/three times a week - each day for breeding females), woodies and silkworms, they are very healthy! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back