screw in uv lights?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cris

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Just wondering is anyone knows stuff about the screw in UV tubes available and what type of UV output and costs are invloved?
Im looking for loighting for my frog tank and one just for a fishtank too.

im pretty sure they come in the 5's and 10's (the out puts) and are around $40 in petshops.

If you tried to put screws through a normal uv light cover, think it's split it all?

Or if you used Liquid nails and glued it to the wood ceilling, would the heat eventually crack the glue and cause it to fall?

Have you had a look on the Animal Attraction website? I'm sure Matt stocks them and i'm equally sure they would be very reasonably priced.

Thanks MrB, will remember you next time you want something......;):lol:

Sorry mate. :oops:

I didn't realise you stocked them. I think i did that the other day too.. sent someone in that direction when you also had the product available. I'll try to be a better spokesman for Strictly Reptiles from now on, i promise. :)

Speaking of wanting something... :) ... are you stocking the exo terra glass enclosures? If not, do you intend to in the future?

Thanks guys, but Im really just after something to keep the plants alive as the frogs will be able to get some sun though a window(plants cant move into the sun lol).

Would a mecury vapour bulb be harmful to frogs?

The heat from it probably would. Perhaps try a hydroponics place if it is specifically for plants?

Thanks guys, but Im really just after something to keep the plants alive as the frogs will be able to get some sun though a window(plants cant move into the sun lol).

MVB would be too hot, and the frog wont benefit from the sun through a window the UVB wont get throught the glass..

the comfact UV's are crap.. the usable UVB deteriorates incredibly over the first month, and after that arent very usfull.. get a one foot strip 10.0 (reptisun, not cheapo brands like outback max, they arent even good in the first place) would be the best to keep the plants alive,.. than again cant you get cheaper plant lights.. from gardening stores..
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/compactlamps.htm have a look around that site, its got some good research..

MVB would be too hot, and the frog wont benefit from the sun through a window the UVB wont get throught the glass..

the comfact UV's are crap.. the usable UVB deteriorates incredibly over the first month, and after that arent very usfull.. get a one foot strip 10.0 (reptisun, not cheapo brands like outback max, they arent even good in the first place) would be the best to keep the plants alive,.. than again cant you get cheaper plant lights.. from gardening stores..
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/compactlamps.htm have a look around that site, its got some good research..

Actually, John weigel did some UVB testing on a few compact UVB and found that some of the big brand name ones are crap. We tested a UVB Compact Max Pack 10.0 after 7 months of use at 14 hours day and found it to still be producing UVB. 52 microwatts @ 6 inches, 26 microwatts @ 9 inches and around 12 microwatts@12 inches. We have also tested Outack Max tubes with good results.

I hope you have some sort of prove of your research of "cheapo brands" Kirby. You would have obvioulsy done some testing of your own to make such remarks. Also, 1 foot, 10.0 fluoros are not available in reptile brands, the smallest you will get is 1 1/2 foot or 18 inches. Where do you get you information from? Or is it someone told you and you just believe them?

Cheers
Daz

The uv your frogs need doesn't pass through glass, and maybe not through perspex either. For frogs make sure you don't go over a "5" rating.
Here is a piece from Gerry's care sheet for GTF's, but it is well worth a read of the whole thing:
http://frogs.org.au/arc/caresheets.html

It has been observed that in captivity a failure to provide ultra violet light has resulted in stunted and
deformed growth. Most animals with a high UV requirement need light in the 250m-400m range. To
provide this light two options exist; metal halide or fluorescent. Metal halide lights are expensive ($300)
and are too powerful for a small tank. They do however give exceptional plant growth and provide the best
approximation of the suns natural rays. Not all metal halide lamps emit light of the correct wavelength so
seek further advice from those who use these lights for frogs, before making your purchase. There are
many types of fluorescent lights that are now being marketed as full-spectrum (daylight). It is important to
note that most do not emit UV light or do so for a very short time. The most cost effective lighting solution
is to use a dual fitting. Mount one side with a full-spectrum fluorescent tube (e.g. Grolux, Biolux) for plant
growth and the other side with a blacklight or UV fluorescent tube. Many types of UV tubes exist.

I have decided to go with a 100 watt sun seeker MV bulb(i already had 1)
It doesnt seem to get to hot but rather provides some basking warmth(its about 70mm above the mesh lid) and they seem to like basking under it.
They are eastern dwarf tree frogs (litoria fallax) and they really like the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back