Scrubbie feeding!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Varanus

I'm aware that pythons should be offered no more than 20% of their body weight in food every 10-14 days over the warmer months, but have recently been told that Scrub Pythons often consume up to and over 50% of their body mass and can easily cope with such an increase due to greater activity levels and a higher metabolic rate. My recent addition (wild, originally) is conservatively 2.5 M at 2.9Kg and recently consumed 3 "Jumbo" rats (at 400 gms each), 1"extra large" rat (at 180gms) and 2 "medium" Quail (at 100gms each) and would still take more, if offered.

Just wondering what other Scrubbie keepers offer their charges as a regular meal?

I don't know much about anything, so take this with a grain of salt... A snake probably can and will eat way more than it needs, because in the wild they don't eat every week, and I'm guessing if they did happen to eat 20 animals in one sitting, they wouldn't be out hunting 10 days later.

I know some feed on adult poultry, quail, rabbits and cats.

I haven't done any weighing in a long time but my 4.5m scrubs eat 2.5kg rabbits in a feed. They generally get fed every 2 - 4 weeks during the warmer months.

Thanks guys! I might stick with one or two Jumbo's and a medium Quail for the time being.

My 2.7m girlie has 600/700gram rabbits, only give her 1 at a feeding at roughly 3/4 week intervals. That way it gives me 18months b4 i start to "upsize" her enclosure (currently 6lx3hx2d). If i get rid of a kid the bedroom will be the ultimate cage for her.

Mate, you'll have to open a theme park and start charging soon! How heavy's the kid you want to get rid of? I see a
problem and a solution:)!

I'm looking at an 8lx4hx2d as a final enclosure, with plenty of outdoor time on warmer days.

....... My recent addition (wild, originally) is conservatively 2.5 M at 2.9Kg and .....

I don't know much about scrubbies but its interesting how shape and weight varies with different species. My olive pythons at that length were 4 and 6kg, my intergrade boy is 4kg and recently I relocated a wild python who measured around 1.8m and weighs 4kg. This python was a rarity though. First time I've ever come across a FAT wild python.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back