SE Qld Frilled Neck + others

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTheMan

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Been keen to find one of these for a while, finally managed it a few weeks ago, just got round to posting pics now. Not exactly a common find.

047-Copy2.jpg

052-Copy.jpg

My local Carpet, knocks off the rats in my chicken coupe, been around for a while.
011-Copy3.jpg

Saved this guy from the shovel at work, the most placid Brown I have ever come across
042-Copy.jpg

041-1.jpg

Was disgusted to see this at a camp site up near Conondale, poor thing was tangled in a plastic bad and had been for some time, also a nasty wound on his tail
048-Copy.jpg

Thankfully he sat still for me
049-Copy.jpg

A bit happier afterward
052.jpg

A few from Fraser Island I never got around to uploading, unfortunately the only herps I saw were a heap of Lacies and a few un-identified snakes.
027-Copy2.jpg

029-Copy2.jpg

Young Whale
016-Copy2.jpg

018-Copy2.jpg

014-Copy2.jpg

Sand Blow
Picture009-1.jpg

Picture013-1.jpg

Didn't get a good shot of the crystal clear water in the lakes on there, but this shows how clear it is, I am standing in Lake McKenzie (spelling?)
Picture025-2.jpg

And just some Kangaroo near home
034-Copy2.jpg

And one of my favourite herping spots, with a beautiful crystal clear river to cool down in.
066-Copy.jpg

Wow there are some great pics in there mate I'm Jelous cant wait for my next trip to QLD and Fraser Island.

Awesome photos. I love that big carpet python, what an absolute beauty. I would love to see a frilly one day myself.
If you hadnt of said you were standing in water i would never have noticed!!!lol

Very nice shoots, that's a great example of why you shouldn't just leave rubbish at campsites and also not littering at all. Nice find with the Frilly, The picture of the whale jumping out of the water is great. Do you have pics of the un- identified snakes?
Thanks Tim.

Yea Fraser Island is an absolutely stunning place, a definite must see. The variety of habitat and wildlife on there is amazing.
Here's a pic I stole from google of Lake McKenzie that's sort of shows its beauty, have to see it in real life. It's only filled by rainwater, and the only way the water escapes is by evaporation.
Fraser_Island_a05_lake_mckenzie.jpg

Also one showing the lush rain forest
060.jpg

Very nice shoots, that's a great example of why you shouldn't just leave rubbish at campsites and also not littering at all. Nice find with the Frilly, The picture of the whale jumping out of the water is great. Do you have pics of the un- identified snakes?
Thanks Tim.

No they were way too quick, only saw their tails, I'm guessing Yellow Faced Whip & Eastern Brown

Dan great find with the FRILLY .......and love all the other pics ....nice size EB ...have come across some cruisy ones at times too..not always the monster ....;)

Awesome finds Dan especially with the frilly, the pics of Fraser Island are incredible!..A place I would really love to visit. Ive been on the Sunny Coast on holidays for almost a fortnight (couple more days till I go home) and Im having a blast...only been herping a couple of times but dont know the area very well at all. However I am almost 100% certain that I am going to be moving to the area very soon.

Fantastic photos. Great job in freeing the lacie from the bag left by stupid tossers. I reckon animals have a sense when you are trying to help them... at least thats I believe. I'm sure a lot of you snake wranglers (especially you RBBS with all your crazy brown stories) are willing to disagree with me tho lol

I agree Bearded Lady
That Eastern Brown in that photo was the same, someone came running in to work asking for a shovel, and I over herd someone saying there was a Brown, so I ran out to find it before he could get a shovel, found the brown, it ran (slithered) away from me and down a small hole, I got it out with that wire in my hand in the photo, then took him to a nice big bit of bush (actually a scientific reserve) where he would hopefully avoid people for a bit longer.
Any way, point of the story is, it never lunged at me once, but it did at the guy with the shovel.

nice pics dan, well done finding the frilly, how common are they?

Fantastic photos. Great job in freeing the lacie from the bag left by stupid tossers. I reckon animals have a sense when you are trying to help them... at least thats I believe. I'm sure a lot of you snake wranglers (especially you RBBS with all your crazy brown stories) are willing to disagree with me tho lol
Depends on the situation ,some EB calls I get are iffy situations where the browns have been rev'd up to a point that they wanna kill anything in their direction ,by either dogs ,people or in hot hay sheds (thats a scary situation getting out ebs ,so many places for it to go and you have to move the bales ,and they are not the lightest or easiest thing to move )
But have had easy ones to ,that the snake hasnt been any drama to catch at all ..there have been plenty of times that I have had meaner carpets to catch ...some RBBS 's can be flighty too.
I am glad you saved the EB from a shovel sheriff..Dan and hopefully it showed the tool with the shovel that his actions were not needed and maybe just maybe he has learnt a valuble lesson to leave them alone and they will leave you alone ..

awesome pics. we went to fraser island last year, camping and 4wdriving, and i gotta say lake mckenzie is absolutely stunning, and ur right.....u hav to see it to believe it.
cheers
mel
just a few pics i took of lake mckenzie last xmas when we were there. but the pics dont really do the place justice. ;)

Attachments

• tincanbay.rainbowbeach.fraserisland2008 309.jpg
    tincanbay.rainbowbeach.fraserisland2008 309.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 61
  • tincanbay.rainbowbeach.fraserisland2008 310.jpg
    tincanbay.rainbowbeach.fraserisland2008 310.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 2008_1231(037).jpg
    2008_1231(037).jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 67
Very nice pictures, and as said before with that picture of you standing in the lake i would have never thought it was water!

nice pics dan, well done finding the frilly, how common are they?

I have only seen 1 other picture of one here, so I guess not very common, but then again there's not a hell of a lot of people on here from the Sunny Coast, so I'm sure they're seen more than we realize by people who wouldn't know the difference between a Frilly and a Water Dragon (when the frill is hidden).
But considering herpers in the area don't come across them every day, it's safe to label them as rare in the area. I think the Sunshine Coast is far south as you would find them, never herd of them in Brisbane, and the books I have agree with this. But just because I haven't herd of it doesn't mean it's a fact. And as said, I'm sure they have been seen by peope that aren't intersted.

i used to go to fraser heaps as a kid. its a truly amazing place. last time i went was 2 years ago. its changed a lot. mainly due to the amount of backpackers and tourism.
I remember seeing a baby carpet python curled up on the vines at eli creek when i was young, from memory it was black and yellow in color. ive seen heaps of monitors and there are 100s of turtles in lake eyre.

im saving up for a 4w drive so i can take a few mates camping up there.

i used to go to fraser heaps as a kid. its a truly amazing place. last time i went was 2 years ago. its changed a lot. mainly due to the amount of backpackers and tourism.
I remember seeing a baby carpet python curled up on the vines at eli creek when i was young, from memory it was black and yellow in color. ive seen heaps of monitors and there are 100s of turtles in lake eyre.

im saving up for a 4w drive so i can take a few mates camping up there.

Yea I agree, I hate people in such beautiful pristine area's, haha!
I just got me a 4wd, so can't wait to get across to Fraser and do my own thing.
These pics were taken when I went with my Untie & Uncle. Going with a few mates would be mad.
Here's my beast! :D
Car-1.jpg

looks awesome mate, you need a really high 4wd.. those 4wd tourist buses destroy the paths and push all the sand into the centre of the road and if you arnt high enough you get stuck over and over and over haha. me and dad took a nissan xtrail last time and its pretty low so we couldnt go most places.

can't wait to go back :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back