Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jase75

Reaction score
Well with this hot weather i decided it would be a great time for a day trip to the beach. So me and a mate decided we would head up north for a day of swimming and maybe a bit of night herping. So we were up early at 6am yesterday morning and headed north to Seal Rocks for a day of swimming and snorkelling before a bit of night driving around the National Parks, then headed home and finally getting to bed about 4am. It was a really long day !!!!
I was a bit disappointed in the variety of Reptiles we found but was happy to find a few nice Snakes.

Some pics of the beach and vegetation.
002.jpg003.jpg005.jpg001.jpg

We went for a drive on some of the fire trails in a few National parks. It was a hot night and there were alot of snakes active on the roads.
We found about 6 Small Eyed Snakes and 2 Stephens Banded Snakes:
006.jpg008.jpg011.jpg010.jpg
We also seen a small Green turtle while snorkelling and some Dolphins.

Beautiful place and the Stephen's are always a nice find.

Regards,
David

Great pics - Seal Rocks is a great spot, and some of the best fishing Ive done.
cheers Jase75

we were up their the other weekend surfing and saw a massive coastal, look like it had a mutton bird in it
heaps of lacies around treachery and yagon

Never seen a coastal at Seal Rocks. Could be an escaped pet I guess.

nice pics. go out there a fair bit herping, have seen a bandy bandy, heaps of small eyeds, blackish blind snakes, frogs. you go to wallinghat national park? we have 2 roads we go on, 1 a tar road, gets a bit busy, but we saw about 10 snakes one night and a dirt road at the national park

nice pics. go out there a fair bit herping, have seen a bandy bandy, heaps of small eyeds, blackish blind snakes, frogs. you go to wallinghat national park? we have 2 roads we go on, 1 a tar road, gets a bit busy, but we saw about 10 snakes one night and a dirt road at the national park
Yeah we were around that area Ryan. We found 8 snakes in about 2 and a half hours. Have u found any other snakes around there? Was hoping to find Golden Crowned, Marsh Snakes or Rough Scaled.

dont see swamp snakes on night drives much, we usually find them at dusk and active during the day, golden crowned snakes are supposed to be common, have found them before but not much. its a nice pleace though

Question... When you guys do these night trips, do you drive in the car using the headlights to spot snakes?? Or walk with torches? If you are driving, what speed do you go? I never seem to see anything...

Question... When you guys do these night trips, do you drive in the car using the headlights to spot snakes?? Or walk with torches? If you are driving, what speed do you go? I never seem to see anything...
I was driving in the car, but done some walking and looking with torches along and just off the side of the roads too. When driving u have to drive really slowly, i was doing around the 20km/ph mark. Its easy to miss the smaller snakes and geckos if u are going any faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back