Sealing enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptinate

Reaction score
Hey, just wanted help real quick. I painted the inside of my central bearded and shinglebacks enclosure blue. Just wanted to know if I need to seal it, and with what? Don't want it to be glossy. Was looking at the Cabots range or the bondall pond sealers. Which would be best? Are all the Cabots water based clear varnishes waterproof?

And same question again, but for an enclosure that has higher humidity.

Thanks for any help :)

Not sure if you need to seal the beardy cage, but I have a GTP and it needs high humidity. SO for the high humidity cage you definitely need to seal it. just get a sealer that clearly states "NON TOXIC". Hope it helps!

In building mine I was told to use Bondcrete as a sealer, I havent used it as Im not too sure on the acids and such in it as well as if I would put something over the top, but it would be interesting to see what others say.

Thanks for the help. I wasn't sure if you could use the pond sealer on wood, but sounds like it'll be fine. Does it leave a glossy look though?
Are all varnishes waterproof? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

Pond sealer would be fine, i wouldn't recommend varnishes as they can be quite toxic to reptiles...

I thought it was okay to use varnish, as long as it's a water based one?

It does leave a glossy finish, for a sealant there's pretty much no getting around it as far as I know...
Pretty sure all varnishes are waterproof.
It's not so much the oil/water base that can be toxic, more everything else that goes in it. Water and oil bases are simply for the surface you are finishing i.e. metal = oil base and wood = waterbase.

Okay, thanks. I thought all varnishes were waterproof too, but it doesn't say on the can, so I wasn't sure. I rang Bondall yesterday and they said you can't use the pond sealer on wood. Bit confused now, but I think I'll still test it. Thanks for your help :)

What type of paint did you use?
And on what type of wood?
Pondtite will help reduce the woods ability to absorb moisture but won't fully waterproof it as such.
The species you've mentioned won't need high humidity environments so if the paint you have used has a good coat and is safe to use, you may not need to seal it.

What type of paint did you use?
And on what type of wood?
Pondtite will help reduce the woods ability to absorb moisture but won't fully waterproof it as such.
The species you've mentioned won't need high humidity environments so if the paint you have used has a good coat and is safe to use, you may not need to seal it.

Oh damn, I can't remember and I can't find the tin. It was normal house paint. Can't remember if it was indoor or outdoor. It's made of plywood. I mainly want to seal the bottom, as they're quite messy when they do their business, so don't want that to seep through. And I thought it would make it easier to get any stains off the sides. Do you know whether varnish is waterproof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back