Sensible stray cat solution

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave1gsxr

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Great story and one that I would definitely back if given the chance.. Bendigo pet owners terrified of cat killer

A man has used a suburban community notice board to boast of killing three cats that strayed onto his property, terrifying neighbours in his quiet Victorian suburb.The notices, posted in the local shopping centre in Strathdale, Bendigo, come three weeks after another sign labelled "Cat death" that warned cat owners any pets caught in a trap he set up in his yard would be "humanely destroyed"."If your cat strays outside your yard and it disappears then it is likely that this is what happened," the notice read."Responsible cat owners, of course, have nothing to fear but if you are not a responsible cat owner and let your cat stray then your cat will pay the price."Now a new sign says the man has trapped and killed three cats — two with collars — and he is thinking about tanning their hides.If the person is caught and is proven to have killed cats, they will face animal cruelty charges and possible jail time, police say.

Sorry the link didn't work, here is the actual notice.. hope it works..

resizer.aspx

just read that, not sure how i feel about it. don't blame him, don't think he should be prosecuted but i still wish there was another day. my cat never leaves the house, not even during the day.

For the record, my cat is an indoor only cat.

I think it is a great idea that he is trapping them, but I do NOT think that he should be killing them.

There are plenty of alternatives to having them "Humanly destroyed". Eg they can go to a shelter where the owner will have to pay for them to be picked up or give them to a re-homing agency such as "Little Paws". There are far too many companion animals being sentenced to death in Australia, why are common citizens killing them too?

He should also be very careful to, it is coming in as a law in Texas that animals can have a sentimental monetary value placed on them. If this ever comes to Australia, he will be sued for this value.

Unfortunately i doubt that he is be prosecuted also. Australia does not have strong enough animal cruelty laws.

I applaud his initiative very well done! It places those that allow thier cats to roam on notice and may well make them think!

We trap and destroy as we found the owners would collect thier prized cats
from the pound and we had them back in the trap within the week.
So the only solution is to remove the problem completely!

We trap and destroy as we found the owners would collect thier prized cats
from the pound and we had them back in the trap within the week.
So the only solution is to remove the problem completely!

So give them to a re-homing agency who will find new owners and homes for the animals rather than sentence them to death.

It is not the cats fault that it has irresponsible owners, so why punish the animal?

In saying this, there are plenty of worse things he could be doing than "Humanly" putting it to sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
quick question what does tanning the skins mean? is that drying them out for a trophy?

Tanning is a process that preserves the skin but soft (if done correctly). Can be done with fur on or just the skin only.

Tanning is a process that preserves the skin but soft (if done correctly). Can be done with fur on or just the skin only.

we get 90% cats in our fox traps the pound instantly puts them down now they dont even try to find owners any more.
i think HEAVY fines for any stray cats OR dogs should be in place and forced removal of repeat offenders.

we get 90% cats in our fox traps the pound instantly puts them down now they dont even try to find owners any more.
i think HEAVY fines for any stray cats OR dogs should be in place and forced removal of repeat offenders.

Yes pounds are well known for that.

I agree with heavy penalties for owners, it may make people think about what they are doing.

my cats well fed and stays inside most of the time. ours to fat and lazy

What he is doing is cruel and Illegal, yes killing a cat for no reason no matter how humane is cruel.
What he should be doing is taking the cats to the pound, the owner will then have to pay to get them back or the cats at least will have some chance of being re-homed, either way he is still making a difference without having to kill an innocent animal.

What he is doing is cruel and Illegal, yes killing a cat for no reason no matter how humane is cruel.
What he should be doing is taking the cats to the pound, the owner will then have to pay to get them back or the cats at least will have some chance of being re-homed, either way he is still making a difference without having to kill an innocent animal.

So a hunter killing a fox or wild boar is also cruel? They are just as innocent as a cat.

So a hunter killing a fox or wild boar is also cruel? They are just as innocent as a cat.

A wild feral cat no, a domestic cat whos only crime is being owned by a twat, yes.

I do not disagree with what he is trying to achieve one bit, I just think actually killing them himself instead of handing them in should not be encouraged

A wild feral cat no, a domestic cat whos only crime is being owned by a twat, yes.

I do not disagree with what he is trying to achieve one bit, I just think actually killing them himself instead of handing them in should not be encouraged

I have no problem with people arguing that it is wrong, but I still can't see how it is "cruel" if the killing is done humanely and the animal doesn't suffer.

your making the assumption he is doing the killing.
if his pound is anything like ours the cat is gone 10 mins after he drops it off.
also once a cat is out of its yard an becomes a problem for the general community it becomes feral.

your making the assumption he is doing the killing.
if his pound is anything like ours the cat is gone 10 mins after he drops it off.
also once a cat is out of its yard an becomes a problem for the general community it becomes feral.
Well he kinda implies he is killing them himself when he talks about tanning the skins lol

I have no problem with people arguing that it is wrong, but I still can't see how it is "cruel" if the killing is done humanely and the animal doesn't suffer.
Ok you are right, cruel is the wrong adjective, how about just morally wrong?

I used to do letter drops to peoples houses in our neighborhood stating that baits have been planted in our yard and if any stray cat consumed these baits then they would probably die.
I never did do the baits but I was suprised hardly anyone actually locked the cats away and if they did it would last a week tops. Now I just trap and send them to the pound. The person who made up the letter is probably going after the whole shock attention thing and guess what....... its working.:)

Many pounds in my area do not euthanise immediately, giving the owners a chance to reclaim the animal. It bothers me that this man caught animals that were clearly pets, most likely micro-chipped (possibly even with contact details on their collars...?), and decided to take it upon himself to end the animals life because that is what he thought would be best. I am not advocating that cats be allowed to roam, however i do not think that this man has the right to kill someones animal straight up when alternatives are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back