Seriously Depressed Dog in Serious Pain

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are literally dozens of causes of seizures in dogs ranging from toxic, infectious, inflammatory, metabolic, cancer based, breed related abnormalities and finally , only when all of those are ruled out can a diagnosis of epilepsy be declared. Diagnostics cost money. Dogs with epilepsy are not, in my experience, painful. Pain + seizures invariably equals inflammatory/infectious (i.e. meningitis) or tumours. Equally it is possible that the pain is eminating from elsewhere (I have seen dog rupture cruciate ligaments and dislocate hips during siezures).

There are literally dozens of causes of seizures in dogs ranging from toxic, infectious, inflammatory, metabolic, cancer based, breed related abnormalities and finally , only when all of those are ruled out can a diagnosis of epilepsy be declared. Diagnostics cost money. Dogs with epilepsy are not, in my experience, painful. Pain + seizures invariably equals inflammatory/infectious (i.e. meningitis) or tumours. Equally it is possible that the pain is eminating from elsewhere (I have seen dog rupture cruciate ligaments and dislocate hips during siezures).

That is a very good point geckodan, i forgot to point out how many tests had been done on my sisters dog to rule everything else out. At first we thought it was caused by all the toads getting in the back yard.

good luck, i also think another vet is a good idea. rather then purely dismiss it on epilepsy. there is an array or reasons why anyone or anything has seizures,

As long as the dog is still enjoying life, I think you should always do everything to keep them alive and healthy...

For example, my teacup poodle is 17, completely deaf, mostly blind, arthritic, and has such weak hips that she falls over when she turns around. BUT she still wags her tail, loves cuddles, follows me around (slowly), and begs when she smells something yummy. So although she is in pain, she is still enjoying her life...

Yeh well he did have a leg problem about a month or so ago which was apparently caused from him jumping off the couch and turning too quickly that came back last week so the vet said for him to take it easy and no jumping etc... I'll let my mum know that she should try another vet just hope she can afford another visit..

it seems odd that the vet has prescribed anitbiotics for epilepsy.. which makes me think that the seizures could be caused by something else like gekodan said, costly i know but have the vets done any type of mri scan or eeg scan to see if there is any abnormal brain activity or nerve impulses that could lead to seizuring?? i went through this last year with my brother (i know hes not a dog but same general procedures involved)...

Who are you doing the right thing by , the dog or yourself .
Do you think it's fair to have the dog having fits , just because you cant bear to lose it ? .

Well let me think about it for awhile, because i obviously i hav'nt! :evil:
After Charlie began fitting i gave up my full time job to care for him fully believing he only had a short time to live. several months on he presents the same. his condition costs me plenty including time, money and stress to my family of 7. i have asked several vets their opion as to whether put him to sleep or continue as we are. all said if it was their dog they would contiue teatment and take one day at a time, reasessing the situation as we go! As i said his good days still outweigh the bad. My mother has fits, mybe I'll put her down too!

my aunty's dog always having fits

she eventually had to be put down but this was at 14 years old , so she still lived a long an happy life.

also moodles are awesome dogs ive had mine since i was 9yo's he's been the best dog ive ever had

Update

Vet ran further Tests and it seems not to be epilepsy but rather something to do with the brain. Some small disease but apparently the vet said he should be fine some infection or something to do with the brain that's what my mother was told about 2 hours ago

Well let me think about it for awhile, because i obviously i hav'nt! :evil:
After Charlie began fitting i gave up my full time job to care for him fully believing he only had a short time to live. several months on he presents the same. his condition costs me plenty including time, money and stress to my family of 7. i have asked several vets their opion as to whether put him to sleep or continue as we are. all said if it was their dog they would contiue teatment and take one day at a time, reasessing the situation as we go! As i said his good days still outweigh the bad. My mother has fits, mybe I'll put her down too!

Congrats , your finiancally able to give up your full-time job , costs yourself heaps , bring more stress to your family of 7 , i am happy for you .
How do vets make money ? , people like you that keep on pouring money into them .
Hopefully , the good days keep out-numbering the bad ones ! .

By the way , before i get flamed , i have owned dogs for around 30 plus years , have had to put down dogs due to old-age and sickness , i just dont think its your right to chose what you think is it good days .

As for your mum , looks like you can financelly be able to keep her for a while . Lucky her . LOL

Cheers

My god Rockman, what is your problem?! Almost EVERY vet and breeder will say the same thing - there is rarely a 'right' answer, and it is a very personal decision that each family needs to make on their own. Of course, if an animal has no quality of life whatsoever, it is generally a simple choice.

But the conditions we are talking about are very common in humans, and are not the sort of conditions that euthenasia is normally discussed regarding - fits, seizures etc.

I don't think it's YOUR right to judge - most people know their dogs very well, and can make an informed decision about the quality of life.

If people are in a financial position to help keep their animal into an older age, there is no reason to put them down due to simple ageing diseases. I have spent several thousands of dollars on medications, vets etc. on my dog, and don't for a second question this choice. She is a very old, but very happy and chirpy little dog!

Of all the professions I know, Vets are one of the LEAST 'money-grabbing' fields in general. Most vets I know make very modest incomes.

Congrats , your finiancally able to give up your full-time job , costs yourself heaps , bring more stress to your family of 7 , i am happy for you .
How do vets make money ? , people like you that keep on pouring money into them .
Hopefully , the good days keep out-numbering the bad ones ! .

By the way , before i get flamed , i have owned dogs for around 30 plus years , have had to put down dogs due to old-age and sickness , i just dont think its your right to chose what you think is it good days .

As for your mum , looks like you can financelly be able to keep her for a while . Lucky her . LOL

Cheers

:( I feel sorry for you, sad little man. That's it i'm done conversing with you.

Good luck with your little one there.. he's sooo cute, xuch a shame he should fall ill like this................ hopefully, if he is having antibiotics, it may just only be the infection that's causing seizures.

Wishing him a speedy recovery if that is the case. Hang in there.

i know i.ll get flamed for this but i really believe sometimes it's best just to let them go peacefully.
Modern medicine can do wonderfull things, but sometimes they shouldn't.

I think personally, if you could ask the dog, it would choose life over death. Basic survival instinct...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back