Sexperts Required Gidgee Skinks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uaru

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Last week I posted about possible sexual dimorphism in Gidgee Skinks.

I think I was way off the mark, the white underside must have been a precursor to shedding because now my male? has a salmony colour underbelly as well. After his shed that is.

Anyway I thought I'd try a method of sexing called the "internet method":D . Which will probably be just as reliable as the "pin and string method":D.

So here are attached photo's of my Gidgees. Yes Jordo I got around to doing them this time.

1st and 2nd photo is Rocky "pin and string method" male
3rd and 4th photo is Gidget "pin and string method" female
5th and next post is Cujo "pin and string method" female

I have formulated my own opinion and feel Gidget is a male, notice how wide and swollen her/his tail is, and feel Rocky is male and Cujo female, but I would like other peoples expert and non-expert opinions.

Cheers
Uaru

Attachments

• DSC01223.jpg
    DSC01223.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC01225.jpg
    DSC01225.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC01226.jpg
    DSC01226.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC01227.jpg
    DSC01227.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC01228.jpg
    DSC01228.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 87
And heres Cujo's underside.

Attachments

• DSC01230.jpg
    DSC01230.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 68
Nice pics! :p
Ummm my guess going by head shape is Female, Male, Female. However tail tapering seems to indicate otherwise???
Oh and nice names ;)

I thought the same too Jordo, female, male, female however in size Rocky and Gidget are almost identical and very hard to tell apart, and have seen Rocky have a chomp on Gidget's tail. The difference between the 2 of them is that Gidget's tail is more salmony and appears more "swollen", but apart from that not much. Whereas Cujo is longer, slightly lighter in colour and her head appears slightly smaller than the others, and tail is more slender. That's why I think male, male, female.

Thanks Uaru

Sorry, what does the tail tapering indicate to you.
Cheers
Uaru

Sorry, what does the tail tapering indicate to you.
Cheers
Uaru

Generally in lizards, a females tail will taper suddenly (making it more blunt and appear shorter), relative to males in which it tapers slower (more pointy and longer) if that makes any sense lol.
So going by that, like you said the last ones tail tapers slower than the first two, making it F,F,M respectively.
The photo of the last one is at a bit of a different angle to the first two so this may make it appear a little different as well.

No one else is willing to have a go?
Come on people just try and sex them as if they were blueys ;)

Thanks Jordo, for the bump.

Come'on any takers.

Cheers
Uaru

Thanks Big Blue

So from the tail taper, and thicker base, Gidgee Skinks 1 and 2 (Rocky and Gidget) female and Skink 3 (Cujo) male.

However my understanding with Skinks is that larger heads and wider bases, male. Also on internet search egernia striolata (Tree Skinks) males have heads that appear larger and longer relative to body size. And assuming egernia species sexing would be similar Cujo's head does appear smaller relative to the other two eventhough he/she is larger than both the other skinks. So by this Skinks 1 and 2 male and 3 female.

So far all I think, is that I have a pair amongst this trio, just not sure which ones are he's and she's.

C'mon guys and girls give us your comments.

Cheers
Uaru

Hi,
Not sure if this is relevant but still..
I got some juvenile Hosmer skinks yesterday, and while the guy i got them from was not sure of the sex of two he was on the other two. They are quite similar to Gidgees. He used the following guides:
1. A 'squareness' to the vent in males
2. he stroked the base of the tail (between where hemipenes would be). This cuases the hemipenes (if there) to retract, and become more pronounced. (now hold yourself back if you try this one!)
3. The spines on the tail stick out more in the male than the female-now even I was able to notice this one. Presumably something to do with mating?

While length of tail, thickness of neck etc are other features they don't become noticeable until quite advanced, so these features can be used on younger ones
Bob

Thanks Spongebob,

So by reasoning 1. (Squareness of vent) skinks 1 and 2 male, 3 female.

Reasoning 2. Haven't tried, does stroking involve any pressure applied, or just a light tickleing.LOL:D Pretty sure all i'll get trying this is just a healthy wallop of wee and poo.

Reasoning 3. Spines on all of them look pretty pronounced, none more so than the other. Not that I can tell at the moment. But I'll keep that in mind next time I am looking at them.

Length of tail and thickness of neck may be relavent for these as they are adults. Please explain.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

C'mon guys keep em coming.

Cheers
Uaru

Yes big blue I think I understand, do you disagree with my judgement that skink 1 and 2 are wider at the base. What do you see?

Cheers
Uaru

You're not kidding try telling them apart in person:lol:

Thanks for that Bob and Bigblue, I haven't really tried to sex mine yet but I'll need to have a good look at them now with all this extra info. Bob any chance of some pics? :D

Jordo,

I would be very interested in seeing photo's of yours, in a similar fashion to mine if possible. And what sex you think they are.

When you're ready.

Cheers
Uaru

Jordo,

I would be very interested in seeing photo's of yours, in a similar fashion to mine if possible. And what sex you think they are.

When you're ready.

Cheers
Uaru

No worries, I was going to ad some pics to this thread but I don't see them again till Saturday so you'll have to wait ;)

Pics!

I had a few pics of them on this comp and there just happen to be a good birds-eye shot of each one :p
Sorry about the small size but my internet credit is almost out.
Let me know what you think and I'll check them out on Saturday.

Attachments

• IMG_2286small.JPG
    IMG_2286small.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2297small.JPG
    IMG_2297small.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2298small.JPG
    IMG_2298small.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2303small.JPG
    IMG_2303small.JPG