Sexual organs hanging out! - Boyds hatchling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSPcrazy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I had a Boyds forest dragon hatch yesterday, only problem is his sexual organs are hanging out and haven't sucked in.

I've been keeping him very moist, hoping they will suck in. Is there anything else I can do to try and get them back in?

I'll post photos as soon as I can.

Maybe he's just drying them out ;). Are you sure its not retained umbilical cord and yolk sac?

Maybe he's just drying them out. Are you sure its not retained biblical cord and yolk sac?

Pretty sure, looks like you're typical hemipenis to me.

Here's some photos.
b92f24fa.jpg

e2ae2332.jpg

Last edited:
How long should he sit in there for?

I would sit him in it until you see it go back in, should not take much longer than an hour or two.
Just make sure you put a small rock in there so it can rest its head out of water.

I haven't had to do this with Boyds before but its worked for me with frogs and Central netted dragons.
I know it can work for snakes as well.

I would sit him in it until you see it go back in, should not take much longer than an hour or two.
Just make sure you put a small rock in there so it can rest its head out of water.

I haven't had to do this with Boyds before but its worked for me with frogs and Central netted dragons.
I know it can work for snakes as well.

Good advice Geckoman, dont leave it exposed or let it dry out, very important.

lol, or give him a lady so he can finish up and put them away himself! :)
(although with that facial expression a long coat and boiled lollies might be the go,...)

years ago i saw on a forum a male beardy had his out for 4 or 5 days, they were kept moist with KY jelly,....

are they back in yet?

I've just put him in the sugar water, so we'll see how it goes.

The colour of the sexual organs has changed from the red in the photos, to a almost white now, I'm just hoping they don't die off from lack of circulation.

I've just put him in the sugar water, so we'll see how it goes.

The colour of the sexual organs has changed from the red in the photos, to a almost white now, I'm just hoping they don't die off from lack of circulation.

I hope it works, hopefully the fact you kept it moist has stopped it from going bad, it's really good you got him into the sugar water, with these things time is crucial

Just wanting to check. I added 2 teaspoons of sugar to 1 cup of water and tipped that into a container for the Boyd to sit in. Is that enough sugar?

everything ive read says it should be pretty sugary,.....

some sites even say wet it and put the sugar on it directly, but i think the bath method would be better.

Just wanting to check. I added 2 teaspoons of sugar to 1 cup of water and tipped that into a container for the Boyd to sit in. Is that enough sugar?

That sounds about right, I used roughly the same amount when I did it.

I am not an expert, I am just letting you know what's worked for me in the past

Ok, 1 hour on, and his bits have come out further, 1 is pink again but the other is very white.

If it doesn't end up retracting of its own accord by tomorrow I would be taking it to a vet.They can reinsert and stick a suture in to help stop it coming out again.

Hahaa...worrying or not, he looks miiiiighty pleased with himself..

Hahaa...worrying or not, he looks miiiiighty pleased with himself..

I saw those pictures differently. I thought he was saying "STOP. Don't take my photo with my penes hanging out"
Good luck with him mate, hope all goes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back