shallow end of the gene pool

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFox

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A few days ago I was talking with a friend. Anyway apparently she has this really rare breed of cat with only so many left on the wild. It just looks like a moggy to me. Anyhow I asked her if her cat became extinct in the wild and hers was one of the few in captivity if she would allow it to be released into the wild. She said no, but then asked me if I would do the same for my snakes. I said yes.

Before I had snakes I always thought they were instinctual animals and there would be little to no difference between the behaviour of captive and their wild counterparts. So if a captive animal was released it would survive as if nothing had happened. My little tanami woma I believe would have no problem, but the same can't be said for my Uluru woma. He seems to be all beauty and no brains. I was wondering if anyone else had snakes they know probably would survive in the wild. Ones from the shallow end of the gene pool.

For example last night I fed Edison (my uluru woma). He was in his hide so I tapped the glass (that's his signal for feed time) and he came sauntering out. I put his rat on the heat tile. I normally face it a certain way but because I was half a sleep it was facing a slightly different way. For normal snakes this wouldn't matter but Edison spent the next 20mins trying to to eat the rat from the middle.

Then he worked his way down to the bottom and spent the next 30mins eating it tail first. Eventually he did manage to eat it then slithered back to his hide thoroughly exhausted.

This isn't a one off either, the rat has to face a certain way. Surely there are others out there that due to their quirks wouldn't survive.

- - - Updated - - -
038.jpg

041.jpg
043.jpg

Last edited:
I think because of the fact we get pythons feeding that wouldnt normally in the wild we create whole lot of 'sook' snakes that natural selection would have killed without our help.

That said i think all of mine would survive in the wild, bar one beardie who is just a very timid girl..

There is a youtube video of a girl whos GTP got out and she found it in a different room inside her canary cage and one of her birds was missing. I think that shows that snake have a strong inbuilt instinct to hunt and eat..

He also likes pooing in his water bowl which is easy to clean up but strange. And when he is in shed he spends the milky eyed stage in the open and the rest in his hide. I'm starting to think his name is ironic as I love him to bits but he really isn't the brightest spark.

He also likes pooing in his water bowl which is easy to clean up but strange. And when he is in shed he spends the milky eyed stage in the open and the rest in his hide. I'm starting to think his name is ironic as I love him to bits but he really isn't the brightest spark.

Yet according to some they have the capability to exhibit some human emotions!

There is a youtube video of a girl whos GTP got out and she found it in a different room inside her canary cage and one of her birds was missing. I think that shows that snake have a strong inbuilt instinct to hunt and eat..

Another view would be could that GTP has the skill need to catch a wild canary as catching a caged bird can be done after watching the bird for hours where as catching a wild bird may require reactions in the milliseconds? i think blood line that have been bred in captivity my had lost some wild type behaviour as such

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back