She some light on shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darlyn

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am interested to know the physical happenings when a snake sheds.
I assume they become introverted and stressed because they can't see and are vunerable,
but it must be a huge part of their world because it happens so often.
Their whole body changes and their behaviour changes so much (in most cases).
Can't be an easy thing discarding your whole outer body shell.

Oh great typo in thread name, my bad.

"Normal ecdysis in squamates is a complex process in which cells of the intermediate zone (upper stratum germinativum) replicate and form an entirely new three-layer epidermis (called the new inner epidermal generation). Once the new surface is complete, lymph diffuses into the area and enzymatic action results in the formation of a cleavage zone, after which separation occurs (i.e., the outer generation is sloughed)."

John V. Rossi, DVM. Dermatology. p 104-117

In other words, a new layer of skin hardens up under the old layer, when it is nearly ready, the body of the snake excretes some whitish stuff (release agent for better words)..... this is the blue(milky eye) phase. When the skin is ready to be shed, the body absorbs the liquid again (this is why people often worry the snake has shed already & must have eaten it :shock:).... but soon after, the snake gets out of its old skin :lol:

A snakes life (in the wild) would be a pain in the butt. They have vision problems at shed time, they have to hunt food (which isnt always successful every time), they spend thier spare time chasing temperature...... and they cant even blink or scratch thier head!

Our snakes prolly eat more in a year than a wild snake would eat in its life :shock: As snakes shed when they grow.... ours may shed 5 - 6 times a year..... wild snakes in times of marginal food/hunting.... loss of habitat, might be lucky to eat a few times a year and maybe shed once or twice. :|

Last edited:
Okay thanks guys.
So the outer skin doesn't really change colour it's liquid lymph that appears on the skin to help
in the shedding process. Interesting stuff.
And even tho they look like lazy slugs internally their bodies must be coping with the change
which uses all their energy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back