shed tail tip "tips"?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

instar

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
hi folk, my carpet just shed, not bad but not perfect either. some bits between and around some belly scales remains not too worried about that, im thinking hell rub it off himself as he goes. Trouble is the last 2cm /20mm of tail tip didnt come off. I tried, gentle rubbing in the right direction with a wet face washer and soaked him till he thought he was a sea snake, to no avail. any "tips" for tips please.? I know its not good, due to drying skin constricting blood supplie to the tip. any help appreciated, thanks. :?

I just peel it off! use ure finger nails... Make sure you have soaked the area first tho, makes it easier to come off!

Brodie

Thanks red, i tried that too but only minute slivers come off. besides i have really short fingernails, cant get a grip, even tried the frogs feeding tweezers. no luck. If i soak him anymore hell develop a paddle tail.! :D

Either soak him in a wet pillowcase or put him in a tub of warm water for a good half hour or so. This should see the rest of the shed come of with a little bit of help from yourself.

When I was in hospital for a week 2 weeks ago, 4 out of 5 of my snakes decided to shed. My husband was so flat out with the kids, he didn't check on them at all, and I came home to a real mess (I asked him to spray them and move their water bowls into hot end but he forgot). 2 had retained their shed, 1 a tail tip, and one came of literally scale by scale. I soaked the coastal with the tail tip retained, and then rubbed with a washer, and gently peeled with my fingernails. It took 2 hours, it came of in the tiniest bits, but got it eventually. Just might need to really persist, Inny, it comes off in the end, even if bit by bit :roll: .

Thanks folk, I thought id leave him be last night, he told me in ni uncertain terms hed had enough. lol Ill take another look today, maybe give him another soak, get those last bits off and the tip. He looks great though. cheers. :wink:
montyclimb.jpg

our freindly kooka came to check him out too!
kooka3.jpg

told you im a monty python "fan" :lol:
montyfana.jpg

spunky snake inny :D

we have had this happen three times now, 2 snakes were bought with the little bit left on, and one did the same as monty and shed everything except the tip as his first shed in our care. i use a spray bottle (thanx to phil for helping out with nymph :)) and keep spraying the tail tip as im handling her, and whenever i have 2 fingers free i gently put them around the tail tip and let her slide thru. the last time it happened i was actually able to hold onto the piece and the snake just pulled herself thru like they do when they shed by themselves. i dont know how much handling monty puts up with but if you make it seem to him like its a normal handling session (except for the little bit of wet tail tip) they seem to handle it as well as they would any other handling session!

good luck! :D

Thanks zoe, hes really placid but has his patience limit lol. when he starts hissing at me, i know hes annoyed. Hes never bitten me and only ever struck at me once (my fault, I really annoyed him looking in his mouth :oops: ) He has a great temprement normally. The tip seems tight though, hes soaking right now and ill have another go at it soon. :)

Hes never bitten me and only ever struck at me once (my fault, I really annoyed him looking in his mouth )

lol sounds like you would have been in a good position for him to strike at you too :D

let us know how you go!

Lol, i had ,had a look and let him go, then stupidly decided to just have one more little peep! lol He wasnt havin a bar of it, "WHACK" !!! he tried to take me out!!!! CRIKEY!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol sounds like mustang! but i didnt have to even touch him to get him narky at me lol ;)

nah he was nice to me the other night even tho he was still in the cage lol. oh and mustang was too :lol: :wink:

Well, i got that tip shed off, rub rub rub! he was very patient.
Moosey, according to the last owners dodgy records, hes 5 this year, hes about 8 ft something, due to be measured again. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back