should cats be under license?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its is actually illegal for a cats owner to allow it outside where it may kill or harm other animals(in qld at least) with a maximum penalty of 1 year in jail. I think it would be great if they actually enforced this law. Feral cats are also a declared pest(qld) which means you are required by law to take all practical measures to eliminate them from your property.

This is rubbish, most natives are resistant to 1080 and thats why it is used, it occurs naturally in native plants.
Are you serious? 1080 is not selective and will kill anything if they ingest enough

I just dont understand that if a dog gets out it gets put in the pound and then theres a fee to get it out or it gets put down. Dogs are less harmful to native wildlife then cats yet cats roam free and there is no cat pound or anything. I think the pound should cater for cats and put the release fee right up too. I work at a pet shop and you here sooo many customers talking about not seeing there 50000 cats they own very often and they only come home for food bla bla bla yet they still buy more? Then dog owners come in and have just paid 100 dollars to get their dog out of the pound because it escaped while they were at work. How is this fair?

In terms of the actual question posed in the subject I would answer an emphatic yes but I would also have different license fees for neutered animals as opposed to those with the potential to breed.

Anyone with cats that can produce kittens should have to pay significantly more than those that have been neutered.

they should make it so you have to have a license to keep them and tough restrictions on the keeping breeding and selling of them such as making it

illegal to sell un desexed cats
they should make it illegal to keep cats outdoors
all wild cats should be caught and destroyed
any cats outside of a house should be captured and they should face penalties of over $500 per offense and increase in penatly with each additional offence
just because people think there cute and cuddly people let them roam outside killing native animals and they just use the excuse whats a few natives eaten here and there but they never consider the larger scale impacts of it and since every year cat numbers are increasing soon the threat will become more "real" to people but by the time anything is done they will have wiped out countless natives i personally dislike cats so yea if you think im harsh so be it but some one needs to be. i live in the suburbs of sydney i do not own a cat yet i have tons of them in my yard , walking on my cars, trying to get into my ponds, breeding under my house, fighting all night,killing lorikets in trees hanging over my garage, and since they came i havnt seen any lizards and frogs in my area i used to see frequent tree frogs , marsh frogs, blue tongues, jackys and such but there all gone. another major problem is peoples cats just breed and the owners refuse to take responsibilty for the kittens there cats produce.

I think cats should be kept contained on the owner's property at all times. Also, all cats should be desexed to prevent unnecessary pregnancies, only breeders applying for a permit to breed being the exception.

Harder legislation needs to come down on cat owners and their cats as these animals pose a great threat to our native fauna especially some of the more endangered species, and ultimately upset the balance of our eco-system.

That said, I'm sure the majority of cat owners on this site agree and are responsibly containing their animals for the benefit of our native wildlife, and I also think ALL pet owners should prove themselves responsible whilst caring for and containing their animals.

what some people fail to understand is native animals are not only in the bush and away from houses with urbanisation houses are being built on the habitat where many natives live so even if they are confinied to some ones property/yard they will still be able to dramatically affect local populations of native animals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back