Should I be concerned? (Blue tongue skink)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LadyJ

Hello everyone, just wondering if I should be concerned over my blotchies behaviour.

For the past few weeks or so he (Arby) has been acting a little differently to normal - he seems to have slowed down a lot, becoming lethargic and barely coming out from his hide (at least from what I can gather, I'm not home during school hours), he's not eating and has gone from reduced food intake to none, he seems fixated and glassed over with his stare... looking blankly into nothing and becoming none responsive and he also seems to have his mouth constantly somewhat open (not gaping, this is only very very slightly open) and 'licks his lips'. From when I've had him I've noticed a small blemish on the scales around his mouth, near that back of the mouth (could this be stomatitis [mouth rot]?) He also seems to carry himself differently... dragging more than usual and has a very subtle jerkiness or sorts when raising or moving his head.

I'm not sure what to think...I truly adore this reptile and miss the days I would see him enjoying his enclosure and moving around quite happily, coming out to readily bask and eat.

On to husbandry, he's housed in a 3ft enclosure, has two hides (one at the warmer end [terrocotta pipe to absorb heat] and one at the cooler end [natural bark hide]), readily available water, large basking rock, kept at a temperature of 25 degrees on the warmer side and 18-20 on the cooler and has a UV-B light. All lights are turned off at night. The substrate is high-quality, short fake grass and his enclosure is disinfected every few days with a weak (1:10) bleach solution before thoroughly cleaned again with warm water.
He's fed on a diet of grated carrot, chopped apple, chopped brocilli, green salads and mealworms (fed sparingly), snails and premium dog-food.

I'm not sure whether to take him to the vet or whether he's trying to enter brumation or something else I've missed as a first-time blue tongue keeper.
If suggested to take him to the vet, can anyone suggest a vet in Victoria?

Thank you in advance, I would love any suggestions and I'm open to anything.
:|

EDIT: I'm not sure how old this boy is, but I've had him for only a few months now. I purchased him from the Trading Post from a man selling it on behalf of his young cousin who decided it had lost its novelty... he was housed in a small fish tank with no heat, just a burning hot heat-rock (burnt my hand at the touch) and no hides with mulch chips as the substate. Call him a rescue of sorts... he was very small when I recieved him but has grown much larger and seemed to have 'fill-out' since I got him.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've read about lizards, broccoli is bad, it makes it hard for the body to absorb calcium or somethng like that.

Will

From what I've read about lizards, broccoli is bad, it makes it hard for the body to absorb calcium or somethng like that.

Will
Wow... checked it out and thought it was safe. Thank you - I'll stop using that from now on (my beardie was partial to it... eugh, hope they'll be fine, it's only been fed broccoli when I've got no other greens).
:(

It sounds as though he is just wanting to brumate. How long is he? And if worried about the mouth scales, perhaps post some pics?

It sounds as though he is just wanting to brumate. How long is he? And if worried about the mouth scales, perhaps post some pics?
He's 15 inches (1.25 ft), I will make sure to grab a picture in a few.

id just say its brumation , my 5 are mostly sleeping now . every now and again i see them out having a bask - or food > even both , before going back to sleep for a few more days . i havnt adjusted my basking temp.

id just say its brumation , my 5 are mostly sleeping now . every now and again i see them out having a bask - or food > even both , before going back to sleep for a few more days . i havnt adjusted my basking temp.
Excellent, thank you - it really does put my mind at rest. I may be a bit paranoid... but I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing by my animals.
:)

Hi LadyJ, that scale doesn't look like anything in particular - just a damaged scale or something. Keep an eye on it, but I wouldn't worry. And at that size, I'd say he's over the 12mth mark, so, so long as he's in good condition, going into brumation is fine. I always miss mine in the winter ;)

Hi LadyJ, that scale doesn't look like anything in particular - just a damaged scale or something. Keep an eye on it, but I wouldn't worry. And at that size, I'd say he's over the 12mth mark, so, so long as he's in good condition, going into brumation is fine. I always miss mine in the winter ;)
Thank you so much! It's a surprise to me he's probably that 'old', hehe, he is a big boy though after all. Glad I can put my mind to rest and let Arby go into a nice rest without too much worry... I know for a fact I'll miss him more than anything. Bitter-sweet, he's fine... but I won't get to see him, darn.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back