Show us your crocs!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One day I will own a freshie and it will be SO TOTALLY AWESOME!
Till that day I will look at these threads and be very very jealous.

Funny you should mention it, there is a dwarf form of Crocodylus johnsoni from the Liverpool River in the Kimberley that only grows to 1.5 metres. Melbourne zoo keeps and breeds them and hopefully one day they might be available to private hobyists.Mind you 1.5 metres is still a large animal to house. Article in Reptiles Australia Volume 6 issue 1 for anyone interested.

7cb01a0f-d136-8774.jpg
a friends salty

Cheers Brenton

Maybe like one generation.

One generation? Two runts bred together won't neccisary throw all runts. I'm a hell of a lot taller than my parents.

Short of actually finding a gene combination for pygmy crocs by pure chance successfully breeding them to be keepable for life would be a long process.

New colour morphs etc don't just appear, they are the product of years of work and planning by skilled and experienced breeders

Some morphs do just appear, courtesy random mutations but you're right line breeding does take a long time.

Luckily for us evolution has done the hard work and produced a race of freshies that stay a size that could just about be housed in an indoor aquarium setup for there entire lives.

But still, a generation for them is about 10 years.

One generation? Two runts bred together won't neccisary throw all runts. I'm a hell of a lot taller than my parents.

Short of actually finding a gene combination for pygmy crocs by pure chance successfully breeding them to be keepable for life would be a long process.

New colour morphs etc don't just appear, they are the product of years of work and planning by skilled and experienced breeders

There aren't maximum sizes in SA or Vic, I believe NT does enforce size limits (100cm) unless on rural property although I have not checked the specific regulations for each state for a couple of years so please correct me if this is inaccurate.

Not all states are like that. NT, with the right enclosures and zoning you can keep them indefinately. Not sure about other states but there are members on this forum with 2m+ crocs.

From my understanding we can't keep them in QLD and in other states its to a maximum of 60cm (?)

Breeding a 1.5m croc down to 60cm adult size is going to take a long time

For suburban NT that's right, at a meter you can take them back to the croc farm and get a new one.

There aren't maximum sizes in SA or Vic, I believe NT does enforce size limits (100cm) unless on rural property although I have not checked the specific regulations for each state for a couple of years so please correct me if this is inaccurate.

I was offered the opportunity to take the croc in one of my previous posts due to a wildlife park closure at over 11 foot he was a decent boy and very quiet, but due to my current living circumstances I had no option but to turn it down. So yes there are some larger crocs held in the southern states.

Should have done what everyone else does, get the animal first and then come on APS asking what size enclosure you need. :p

I was offered the opportunity to take the croc in one of my previous posts due to a wildlife park closure at over 11 foot he was a decent boy and very quiet, but due to my current living circumstances I had no option but to turn it down. So yes there are some larger crocs held in the southern states.

From my understanding we can't keep them in QLD and in other states its to a maximum of 60cm (?)

Breeding a 1.5m croc down to 60cm adult size is going to take a long time
as others have said your understanding is wrong .
there are guide lines for vic [ its more enclosure size guide lines] but i have my croc till the day it dies or eats me witch ever comes first :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

P1140072.jpgP1230144.jpg
For anyone interested in an example of a larger setup we used for a while for both a 100cm and a 190cm (at separate stages) long croc. There was an issue with detritus build up in the pebbles and the water lilies lasted about 6 months, I would suggest if your not as interested in aesthetics (this was an on-display enclosure) then I would simply invert some milk crates with a flat board on top as a basking platform, the sedge and happy plant did very well in this setup and they were used as cover quite frequently to suggest they are beneficial in such an exhibit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back