show us your stone geckos :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trench

Reaction score
These are my fav sort of geckos and i am hoping to get some one day :)
so if you have any of these geckos please throw up some pics :)

The whole thing with them at the moment is without knowing locality D.furcosus, D.wiru and D.vittatus are hard to tell apart. To be honest probably the only ones in captivity are currently D.vittatus but even D.vittatus is uncertain at the moment so that could change in years to come. I think for now I'll stick with Nephrurus and if I end up back at Diplodactylus maybe go for D.galaetus.

Highlights the importance of knowing the population as well as current taxonomy, in ideal circumstances. But a potential crossed ex-vittatus would still be just as good a gecko for those who were not bothered by its hybrid status. Still, I prefer a known locality.

I think galeatus are at least as cool anyway :) Them and steindachneri.

steindachneri are some of the prettiest geckos I have seen and galaetus are certainly cool. I'm not even convinced that if you crossed vittatus with wiru or furcosus the offspring would be sterile. Especially depending on the population locations. D.'vittatus' group is a right mess, I think granierensis are at least pretty sorted now though. I reckon give vittatus 10 more years and then bring in some known localities to keep pure, would be the ideal situation.

nice geckos GP :)
yeah I guess there is a large range of color forms but thats one of the great things about them :)

It's not just a large range of colour forms, year before last 3 or 4 new species were described previously considered D.vittatus and the Eastern populations are yet to be fully resolved as composed of one species. It's totally possible some of these species were in the trade under the name D.vittatus. If it was just colour forms that would be fine, but I like knowing what species I have.

I have no problems as yet with any other captive Diplodacytluses taxonomy.

heres a little wild one trench. there cool little thing's
Diplodactylus vittatus.
zzz514.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back