Sick coastal update

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck Luke and Zoe. I hope the poor thing comes good.
I would hug you both too but Luke would punch me!

thanx so much guys...it's really nice to know there's people there for us :)

thanx inny

apparently they're gonna start on her at about 1:30-2pmish

Ouzo, sincere best wishes and good luck to you and your python. I'm hoping this ends on a positive note with big smiles all round.

ok well it's good news and bad news...he opened her up and everything looked fine :?...which is kinda good and bad in itself. the only thing he did find was some fatty lumps around where the swelling was. now he wants a faecal sample to test for parasites...which i'm kinda wishing he'd asked for before he suggested surgery :?. the next problem is how we get the sample seeing as she's not eating...we're gonna have to assist or force feed her which has gotta be stressful. i feel bad for the poor baby cos she's been thru so much lately :(. all this info i got second hand thru luke who spoke to the vet in a noisy place and didn't hear everything! so we're going in to pick her up tomorrow and i can ask him everything then. i'm just glad she's come thru the op ok :)

Am surprised the vet didn't get a faecal sample right from the start.....force feeding isn't that hard zo but make sure you get someone with experience to show you....also a pinkie pump does not have to be used.....Maybe now he has cut her open he can get some samples from inside???

This and st's dilema does sound a bit like cryptosperidium which is a terrible disease and can take up to a year for animals to die from it...last i heard there was no cure for crypto,i hope for both you guys sake it's not crypto......i'd be surprised if yours had it though zo seeing as it's still a very young animal!!!All the best and hope the snakes pull through and if not hopefully you can get a positive diagnosis of what the problem was "i know,no consolation" but could prove helpful for others in the future...just some thoughts...

thanx browneye...in regards to getting a faecal sample, since she started regurgitating again a few months back she really hasn't been to the loo...i think she went once but it was too dry by the time we found it. and someone has offered to help us force feed her thank god!

when luke spoke to the vet he mentioned a parasite and cos luke hasnt heard of it before all he could tell me is that it starts with a c :?. i figured he said crypto but i wont really know til tomorrow. how do they get it does anyone know?

how do they get it does anyone know?
As far as i know it is very contageous and if an animal is affected it would be as a result of contamination from another animal obviously with the same condition or disease.

Shows the importance of quarantine,and even then apparently crypto won't necessarily show up straight away so how long should your animals be kept in quarantine?Have you got your little coastal well away from the rest of your collection and be sure to wash hands etc after having anything to do with the affected snake,pays to be safe.

Ouzo, i think its a bad idea to try force feeding. The vet does not need a faeces to check for parasites. Your vet can flush the stomach with a saline solution using a tube which goes down the throat into the stomach. The solution is squirted into the stomach and then immediately sucked back up. Then the solution is put on a slide and examined under a microscope. An even easier option is for the vet to enter the cloaca with a blunt syringe. The saline solution is squirted up into the cloaca and immediately sucked back out and tested. This is very easily performed and the snake rarely even budges while its being done. There only needs to be a minute trace of faeces inside the cloaca for the vet to get a good sample and he only needs to go into the cloaca about an inch.

Also, supposing you force feed the snake and it passes faeces. You then need to get that faeces to the vet for examination. A lot of parasites in faeces die within 10 minutes of the faeces being passed out of the snake, so these parasites wont be identified upon examination. The faeces will appear to be free of parasites. You really need to give the snake to the vet when you think its about to go to the toilet so he can get the faeces immediately after it comes out.

Also, supposing you force feed the snake and it passes faeces. You then need to get that faeces to the vet for examination. A lot of parasites in faeces die within 10 minutes of the faeces being passed out of the snake, so these parasites wont be identified upon examination. The faeces will appear to be free of parasites. You really need to give the snake to the vet when you think its about to go to the toilet so he can get the faeces immediately after it comes out.
Excellent advice st,i had no idea about some parasites dying after only 10 minutes from dump time,always learning!!!

Cryptosporidium is damn nasty. Its almost always fatal but a snake can survive it. Crypto takes around 6 months to 1 year to run its life cycle and then dies out on its own. If the snake is still alive after that then i guess you can say it has survived, but perhaps with serious side effects. Crypto can be identified by a faecal examination.

Pretty sure Crypto is usually water borne.
ie, they get it from contaminated water.

I believe you are correct there Mags.

Zo & Luke, I still have my fingers crossed for you guys and, of course, the snake too.

An even easier option is for the vet to enter the cloaca with a blunt syringe. The saline solution is squirted up into the cloaca and immediately sucked back out and tested.

maybe i can suggest that to him tomorrow st...thanx for that!

where would we have gotten contaminated water from :?

The water can get contaminated by insects or small animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back