Sick hatchling beardie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sami-Lochy

Reaction score
Hey I bought this little guy today, got him free with the 3 i paid for, cause they were the last ones left, it is about 3 months old, and its back back has a severe bump. It has had this bump since birth, hasn't eaten anything apparently but when it got home tonight it ate a small mealworm.
does anyone know anything that could help? Or any advice would be helpful. Has anyone seen anything like this before?
you can see the size it's meant to be, in comparison to the size it is in the photo as well as the hump on its back

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 335
you need to give this one tons of uvb10.0 and lots of calcium dust on the food you feed it. Get a good basking lamp up to 45 for this little feller. Perhaps someone else can diagnose what the problem might be.

Is it bone or squishly like flesh? Doesnt look like bone but it looks damn painful.

Rick

It was probably free because you're gonna need to take that to the vet if it's gonna have a chance.

Reading your comments I think a few of you are leaning towards MBD.(I may be wrong) If that's the case it usually takes quite a wile to set in. Surely not in three months. Someone said a tumor, looks like it to me. When's the last time it defecated? Like others said it really needs a vet trip. The sooner the better. I hope it all ends well.

Regards, Patrick

Thanks for the info, I will try all those things. I put it I'm a warm bath, but I don't think the problem has anything to do with impaction or MBD. I think it maybe a birth defect, cause the bone in its back is completely out of whack, the bone sticks up and the bump is pointy all most if you know what I mean. And the hump is definitely bone.
i gave it a mealworm just cause it wouldn't eat anything else and it will die if it doesn't eat. I will see if I can find a herp vet as the vets around here aren't good with reptile, took my lizard in a few months back and they couldn't help plus charged heaps. Hopefully it will eat some veggies, it doesn't seem to be in any pain, even when I touch its bump. It does open its mouth for gasps of air occasionally though. It is only a few inches long and it is about 1/5 th of the size it should be.
Since it apparently come out of the egg looking like this, I think that rules out MBD and digestion problems.
I will let you guys know how it goes, since he/she seems to be happy and in no pain, I hope he/she survives.

Pretty wrong they palmed off a sick animal to you so you're the one feeling sad about it and paying vet bills. Real low. I've seen this before and I think the owner found it to be a birth defect of the spinal cord. Kinda like a Lizard Quasimodo. Doesn't look in the right place to be an impaction. They're usually further down and underneath or to the side. If it is an impaction though the vet will force feed it cooking oil from both ends and massage it out. I've seen this done before too with impactions in lizards and it works well. Not pretty but it gets them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
any updates on how this little fella is going?

Yeah, it is most likely what B.STATS said, a defect of the spinal cord, and i don't think spinal cord injuries can be fixed. it is still going alright, moving around a bit ect, has been trying to catch crickets, and has eaten abit of butternut squash. Getting plenty of UVB and i sprinkled some vitamins plus calcium powder on the squash. I don't think she will be able to grow, so not sure how long she will last, I don't think it has grown much since it hatched. I've been giving it warm baths and massaging its stomach as well just to make sure it isn't congested ect. Can't seem to upload pictures, keeps saying they are too big, but if you want to see if ill post a link. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=524322610958896&l=cf67350229

You really should still take her to a vet. No one here is one and they might have something to improve her quality of life.

Looks and sounds like a classic case of MBD, the deformed spine and skinny legs is classic. Lots of calcium and UV.

Poor little thing isn't doing too well now, hasn't eaten anything but we got it to have a couple of sips of water this morning. Might have to take it to a vet to get it put down in the morning. I don't think it can grow with its spine like it is.

Maybe you should have taken it to the vet as soon as you got it.

Or maybe it shouldnt of been born like this, the breeder should of either taken it to the vet of put it down. I remember dropping bricks on newborn chicks if they had a deformity (splade feet ect) when i was young, unfortunately these things do happen.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back