Skink ID help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oriolus

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Greetings people! I snapped this photo of a skink on my garden hose (located in Townsville) this morning and I haven't had much luck positively IDing it. I'm hoping one of you guys can nail it down for me. Here it is:

w1czlj.jpg

I was going to say Amax Rainbow Skink ( Carlia amax ) till I checked there locality now I'm stumped, I think it is a type of carlia, interesting to see what it actually is!!

The 4 fingers, 5 toes indicates it's a Carlia. No experience with these guys but it looks like Carlia storri to me, or rubringularis but it's hard to see the scales properly?

^^Thanks, thats what I was leaning towards, is Carlia storri, and yeh, not a particularly sharp photo unfortunately.

Carlia skinks are a difficult group and often cannot be positively identified without a key. I am not certain, but the skink might be a Carlia storri. Here is one from Mission Beach:
CarliaStorrei1.jpg

CarliaStorei2.jpg

... I don't think that it is a C. rubrigularis. Here are females of that species from Mission Beach:
CarliaRubrigularis13.jpg

CarliaRubrigularis9.jpg

... I don't think C. folorium. This one is from southern QLD:
Carlia_folorium2_Glenmorgan.jpg

Juveniles of other species such as C. vivax are also a possibility.

Regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back