Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I think yas are right now actually, pic now removed to not confuse the original thread subject.

Gordo, a foot print is much more reliable indicator of the croc's size. If you find slides, there are usually also some foot prints. I don't know what the ratio is, we just used to guess (not very scientific) but after seeing a number of crocks entering or leaving water, leaving foot prints behind, you get pretty good idea.

i-Q5FxFKZ-M.jpg

i-PwzNqk4-M.jpg

Last edited:
Gordo, a foot print is much more reliable indicator of the croc's size. If you find slides, there are usually also some foot prints. I don't know what the ratio is, we just used to guess (not very scientific) but after seeing a number of crocks entering or leaving water, leaving foot prints behind, you get pretty good idea.

Thanks Michael but these crocs don't have feet unfortunately. :p And with crocs i already have a ratio that serves me well enough, foot print = big enough to eat me, no foot print = not big enough to eat me!

Thanks Michael but these crocs don't have feet unfortunately. :p And with crocs i already have a ratio that serves me well enough, foot print = big enough to eat me, no foot print = not big enough to eat me!

Oh, that's me ... can't read especially on Mondays, today is Monday isn't it?

Anyway, we used to fish off the jetty every evening, watching the crocs swimming across to and from Red Island Point (in top pic).

I believe I know what you are looking for also. While I think it likely one could determine snake size from the track I think it would almost definitely have to be calibrated to the species that made the track. So not a general formula for all snakes but a formula for each species with species like all the Acanthophis lumped together of course.

You guys up north have it too good!!! Bet you never struggle for a good catch either. We are so over fished down here you'd be lucky to pull in a 15cm whiting!!

It gets pretty boring catching big fish all the time, so you start doing it in silly ways. Like during the run off i've caught barra on a stick that i used instead of a lure.

Starting to think it might be more than one snake... most of the tracks are going the same direction.

P7050248.jpg

Fresh one same spot this morning.

P7060254.jpg

I've got no idea what it is but it has visited the same area atleast 2 nights in a row now and if it is what i want it to be it might be worth camping out for.

If it's what your hoping for, I'd certainly be camping out:)! Given that the tracks and, presumably, the scent are recent, any chance of using your dog to follow the tracks further? I often take my Shep out into the bush and he's always finding herps that I would never have found. I'd like to hazard a guess at Olive Python, given the amount of soil moved in that last pic, but don't quote me.

Do people up there have "Goanna Dogs"? Perhaps you could borrow one of those?! Only problem is, if the snakes on the ground, you need to get there ASAP before the dogs get hold of it.

Warui now your just teasing... catching barra on a stick pfft....bastards :p

Good shots. Looks like pretty large tracks. Can i assume you guys are thinking olive python because of the size. To my poorly trained eyes it looks like a pretty hefty snake, with a girth maybe larger than 6 inches. (purely a guesstimate)

And just for my own knowledge, direction of movement is away from you into the grass?

Nah direction is towards me. 6 inches?!?!?! This 'aint no reticulated python!

Guessing olive more on habitat than anything else. Although olives rather rare this side of the river, i've only ever found 1 (but a few times in the exact same location) on this side and 1 R/K anywhere near the escarpment on the otherside.

Lol yeah 6 inches is pretty small! I've never seen an olive python larger than 1.5m in the flesh, so have very little idea of their size. My guess of direction was based on a diagram I found on a tracking website, which must be incorrect or I misinterpreted. It makes sense that the track is coming towards you because of the substrate compression.

Cheers for the input, this is all learning for me!!!

6 inches is huge! A large olive wouldn't be more than 4 inches across. Take this fella for example, over 2m but no fatter than 4inches.

tP5130016.jpg

Ahhh, cool thanks for that. That puts thing into perspective. It's difficult trying to get a handle on all this with being able to actually get out and track some snakes.

Love that photo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back