SLR Cameras....... which to choose?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay84

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So, i am looking for an SLR camera. I am unsure as to which make/model as i am a newbie when it comes to photography. I have always had an interest but have made do with my point and shoot as funds have not permitted me to an upgrade. Now i have just paid off my debts i am looking for a camera but with all these models etc i am totally confused.

I am after a camera that i can grow into, not a total amateur camera where i will want to upgrade in a year or so when my skills develop, but a camera that will last me some time without the need to upgrade.

I have looked at the Canon 550D and the Nikon D90.

What do the experienced photographers on here think? What would you suggest?

Also lenses, i would want the camera for macro shots of my animals, as well as travelling photos of scenery and zooming for photos of animals etc.

Many thanks!

I'm not an expert but am using a dslr cannon 1000D it was good to start out with but I'm looking at getting the 550D as it apparently picks up alot more colours so I would say that would be the way to go...

Nikon d90 has served me well... it is backup to my d300.

I would first ask why you want an slr over a good point and shoot? Many amateurs splash out on an slr, and then never learn how to use them properly. Why waste your money?

What is your interest in photography? What do you want to take photos of - mostly wildlife and the pets? What do you think that buying an slr will achieve that a point and shoot can't? They are important questions to ask before choosing any new camera equipment.

I have a pretty decent point and shoot - Canon IXUS 860IS i think it is. I get very frustrated with it when it comes

to focusing on a particular point of the subject (in that it wants to focus on the geckos LEG other than its head).

Also the lense zoom capabilities are VERY restrictive. I take photos of EVERYTHING, my laptop is full of pictures,

memories, places, fun times, people etc. I like to document where i have been and what i have done.

I want to learn more about the fundamentals of photography as well as the technical side of it. I will want to enrol

in a crash course to learn these basics, then read and learn myself.

And then we will buy two jay and I'll crunch them on the price :lol:

I agree with the above post. I have a D80 and a point and shoot for different occasions. The dslr cameras are great fun, but its such as pain in the *** to get it out an adjust the setup, put the lens hood on and carry it around.

I usually carry both in the one camera bag :)

If you really TRULY plan on doing a photography course, I would advise you to do the course first, then look at equipment.

BUT, knowing that you PROBABLY won't wait that long :D You wouldn't go wrong with a d90 and whatever lens it comes with, and 18-200mm for candid stuff with some zoom (though, it's not really a top-shelf lens, it's its versatility that is great), and a 100mm macro. You'll be looking at roughly $1000 each lens.

I'll PM you a company that's good for prices.

I have always had Canons and found them really user-friendly, travel a fair bit and just came home from a month travelling with my wife who has always insisted Nikon were better, though she spent most of the trip stuffing around trying to get her camera working properly and using every excuse (including herself) for her photos not working.
We have been home for a month and in that time she has looked at my pics, sold her 2 Nikons and bought the exact same set up in Canon as I use.
Totally converted her in 1 side by side field trip!!!
We both now highly recommend Canon having tried both.

I use a Canon 30D, I prefer the bigger viewfinder and body size over the XXXD models. I think they are up to 50D by now but an older 40D would still be great if you can get it cheaper. Either way definitely go for a decent macro lens, I love the 100mm 2.8 macro, so awesome for animals (I think it is $600-800) and besides that I mostly use a 50mm 1.8 (cheap! like $120) especially good once you learn to use an external flash. I also have the 17-85mm lens that came with it for travelling.

I might not have the latest stuff but you can do a lot with it, and the same will go with whatever you buy. The real focus should be on a body that feels natural to use (right size, button locations etc) and some decent lenses. Once you are at the SLR level most of getting a good photo comes down to your skills and lots of practice, something I'm not quite there yet with! Oh and understanding light!

Now if only I didn't get into reptiles I probably could afford to get that 5D mkII I want :)

Thanks for all the recommendations and advice guys. I am still at work having a good read on websites about reviews etc, ALOT to take

in and at the moment alot of language i don't understand lol.

I gota a Nikon D5000....Awesome. Even takes HD Video.

Me too :D
Love my Nikon... after I pay off the iMac I bought (broke as now) I'm enroling into a course on how to get the best out of it... I'm doing pretty good on trial and error though...

Jay if I can learn to use an SLR with reasonable success you will too!

depends on your budget & what your use is plus how much use it will get really. I'm biased & say go canon only cause its what i've always had & are user friendly . I use our old 350d heaps but have just bought a 1d but still sorting my way thru its features! braindrain .... You can have to many features i reckon half of them you'd never use
Spend as much as you can on good lenses then get a reasonable camera to suit... flash camera +cheap lens= ok photo cheap camera + flash lens = better photos. Good luck on whatever you choose

I only had Canon, (G-series) so far, so I can't judge that part, but my friend is very happy with his Nikkon D90.

I see Cactus2u already cracked the question about budget - establish how much you can/are willing to spend, as the camera is one thing, but the lenses will cost even more.

learning how to control a point n shoot in manual modes rather than just letting it make all the decisions will help alot,
as mentioned, an slr is not always the best solution. but it is always an expensive one.

Just went through this and ended up with a D90. I am extremely happy with it. While the 550d had a better video mode, I found the D90 a lot more comfortable to hold in my hands and change settings etc. It has a great body and really nice layout while I wasn't completely satisfied with that of the 550d (though you would get used to it). Most reviews rate one or the other slightly higher picture taking wise (usually Nikon) but to be honest I couldn't tell the difference and both are capable of taking great images.

Thanks for all the info and advise.

My budget is about $2k. I think i will go into a retailer and handle the cameras first and look at the controls and settings and see what feels more natural to me.

I love my point and shoot Panasonic $400.00 but believe it or not there are some excellent clips on youtube on all the dslr's you have mentioned.....solar 17 [Baden]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back