Snake Advice from Local Mayor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xterra

Reaction score
View attachment 242459I had a friend who is a Lockeyer Valley resident, pass this on from the local newspaper. I thought point 1 was interesting.

Cheers Paul

omfg......what a joke! Its scary what some ppl think and especially when these ppl are in a position of power.

Wholy crap...I hate feral cats...I hate cats. There is no domestic animal more detrimental to the wildlife of australia then the domestic house cat. They kill anything and everything....The Mayor is a tossa. Plus its illegal to let your cat outside unless supervised. They are not allowed to "roam" free!

Last edited:
The email I sent:

To Cr Steve Jones,

I am a third-year Zoology student at James Cook University with an avid interest in reptiles, especially snakes. I have worked with reptiles for over five years at a reptile park performing venomous snake shows and crocodile shows as well as reptile husbandry and licenced relocation of snakes in urban areas.

A scanned image of your recommended snake safety procedures for local residents was uploaded to an internet site for reptile enthusiasts today. I have attached the file.

The first point on this article was: "Allow a cat to hunt on your property."

I was shocked upon reading this. It is common knowledge that domestic cats are an introduced species capable of SEVERE damage to local wildlife, especially snakes, lizards and birds, and because of this cat owners are responsible for their animals NOT being allowed outside unsupervised in order to protect said animals. Furthermore snakes are protected by numerous Wildlife Acts which, in the case of Queensland, can be easily accessed through the Department of Environment and Resource Management. Snakes play a vital role in all Australian ecosystems and ensuring that residents in your area are knowledgeable about how to avoid problems with snakes WITHOUT causing the snakes harm is vital. I expect you will recieve a number of emails similar to this from my fellow reptile enthusiasts and I also expect to hear back from you and that appropriate actions are taken to ensure that the information you give residents of the Lockyer Valley is corrected.

On other points:

Professionals such as myself are called to relocate, not eliminate snakes.

Snakes are not a threat but a natural part of our lives as much as any other animal. Misconceptions about snakes are not aided by terms like 'threat' and 'aggressive.'

Sincerely,

Cameron de Jong

may I please bi^^h slap the writer of the article? what the ..... :evil:

Last edited:
That article is outrageous.... I went looking to see if i could find it online.... I couldn't but i found another one quoting
Mayor Steve Jones which was actually ok in the info it was providing residents.
Snake risk still lurks | Toowoomba News | Local News in Toowoomba | Toowoomba Chronicle

I wonder if maybe it was just an ignorant journalist that wrote up the first article and misquoted Cr Jones... However, Cr Jones should be have been more careful in lending his name to the advice given....

What I just emailed the "mayor"

To Whom It May Concern

In response to the article in the local Lockyer Valley paper by the Mayor:-
Being an avid reptile/Australian wildlife lover, I was absolutely appalled by the a fore mentioned article. I can only hope it was put together by an ill informed inexperienced publicist for the Mayor(would be very worried if it was that sort of intelligence in a position of power) It is this level of misinformation that leads to public fear and un necessary retribution against snakes. I would dearly love the “experts” who stated snakes were a “threat” to be named and shamed......

to clarify some points:-
1) Allow a cat to hunt on your property. Are you insane? Cats hunt everything, you cannot ask them to politely only hunt snakes! they rape, pillage and plunder our Australian wildlife.
2) Call a professional to “eliminate” snakes from your property? Hmmmm methinks you need a vallium! No self respecting Snake relocation expert would eliminate any snake!!!
3) Erect a fence around the perimeter of your property? Yep that’s going to work(yes I am actually laughing at this one) I cannot even dignify a response to this one.......
To be honest and somewhat helpful I would suggest you start getting a “real expert” in to educate your shire. Leave your lynch mobs and CATS locked up at home.
Yours disgustedly
Merle

Does that mayor know Australian wild life is protected? and he's encouraging people to basically kill wild life?

I'm forming the notion that the majority of the general public are, at best, ignorant and most are scared of their own shadows...big shame!

i would say he was refering to the cat keeping the mice and rats under control rather then snakes, still an ignorant comment, but its not abnormal for farmers to have a shed cat for that exact reason, and as most of his points were removing things that would attract snakes id say thats where he is coming from.

Trust Ryns to get himself in the paper again, wonder if he has seen those comments yet?

I'm forming the notion that the majority of the general public are, at best, ignorant and most are scared of their own shadows...big shame!

My shadow scares the crap outta me. It kinda sneaks along next to me, creeps me out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back