snake behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maximus

Reaction score
before my 9 month old coastal began to feed on her own on a regular basis she used to (by night) travel around the whole viv and climb up all the branches and do all the things a happy little snake living on the praire does :D ... but now she has begun eating on her own, which is a good thing.. but when the lights go off these days shell go straight to the area i feed her in and just sit over it waiting for food, night after night.. and this is.. well , pretty boring ... is this normal?> am i feeding her enough?

Snakes have a stronger feeding response at night,that explains the constant searching around the enclosure for prey etc after lights out.However I would think that your snake is now imprinted when it comes to feeding.Your snake knows where it is fed and this is why he goes to that spot.If you are feeding thawed rodents and placing them in the enclosure for him to eat then your snake knows that the food item is dead.He knows what to expect and where to expect it,and this is why he wouldnt patrol hes enclosure.If you would like to keep him active during the night start feeding in different locations and/or try using tweezers and wiggle the rodent to imitate live prey.

lol max, monty just curls up on his log/throne like king sh*t and does bugger all, very smug he is, almost grinning hes so pleased with himself for "catching" his dead rats. he really only patrols when hes hungry, few days befor feed. i could be giving him too much?

Why don't you start feeding out of enclosure, that?s what I do and I guess a lot of others.
Not exactly for your reason, but I prefer it as I use BC and also that way they don't think food is coming every time my hand comes in, also as it can get a bit messy sometimes (feeding) and the cages stays cleaner for longer.
Just my Opinion anyway.
Cheers Artie :D

..........Actually Max. Just interested what size food are you using and how often do you feed?
Also what do you mean, "Before she was feeding on her own"?
Do you just throw the food in there?

When i got her she wasnt eating so i had to get her started and when i did she was fussy for a while...I feed her pinkies art, and most of the time i just throw it in or hold it over her with tweezers. i feed about every week or so give or take... do you think i could move her to weanlings and feed her less often ? coz i get the feeling if i throw 50 mice in their shell eat them all...

Definitely bigger prey at that age, and as I said, try outside or change your feeding a bit, wiggle and pull away and let her chaise and hunt.
I think once a week is fine.

As she gets bigger and gets on to larger prey items, I would feed around 7to ten days and then 2weeks and then 2to 3 weeks, but that?s only my opinion.

Ps my 10-month-old Diamond is on small mice, or weanlings.

I agree with artie, feeding out of the enclosure is the way to go. My spotted has been fed that way for 12 mnths and now knows that hand doesnt = food.

carpet python are not hunters but rather ambush preditors, the sent of the food item would be still strong in that area and your snake is just waiting for the next feed to come along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back