Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
getting bitten by pythons as antaresia species is like playing with a kitten that uses its claws, not really anything to be afraid of :) pulling your hand back is a natural reaction, but it can cause more damage to both you and the snake, so best thing is as said just let it bite and take it as an experience and learn from it, hooks are a great tool to avoid getting bitten, but i still think that a snake owner shouldnt be scared of being bitten, because it will happend one day :)

+1

...i have heard that it redueces the chance of being bitten each timee you get your snake out becaus it doesnt think each timee you open the tank its feeding time.

+1

...only feed at night and therefore try to minimise handling at that time of day

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How long after a feed can i hold it ?

I tend to leave mine longer than many, 4-5 days. It all depends on the size of the snake, size of the meal, temps etc.
You can use this as a good excuse with your parents to have more than 1 snake though.....so you can handle 1 while the other is digesting!!!

...I cannot believe the rudeness of some people on here... I find it quite appalling at the way you have treated this person... help the boy...!!!!

+1

I don't think anyone was attacking the OP at all. Would someone care to point it out to me?

Are you really '+ 1'ing everything?

-ybn

No, just with stuff I agree with and there's no point of me repeating what has already been said. :)

I think what is important is again to summarise for the OP:

You need to be prepared to get bitten, if you expect to get bitten you are more likely to react better. You own a snake so chances are you will get bitten eventually. Although your mind try's to help your body avoid getting bitten you need to react in the right way or you can damage your snakes teeth, jaws etc

There are two types of snake bite a defensive/warning bite and a feed bit and they are both very different:

A defensive strike could be a little bump of it's head or could be a tag but with the smaller species like childreni I promise it doesn't hurt at all. Remember never pull away or fling your snake just remain calm like it never happened.

If the snake is using a feeding bite it will latch onto you (trying to feed) sometimes this is a little more uncomfortable but again doesn't hurt that much but sometimes can be hard to get the snake off you. People all have their own ideas and techniques like spray bottles with water or hold snake under running water etc. (in my experience this only works half the time if your lucky and if it doesn't can actually make the snake grind and bite down harder instead of letting go). I have heard of many other techniques including put hand/snake on the ground and wait? and from one fool holding a cigarette lighter under the snakes tail (Please never do this) I use a very different method that works every time on every snake (That I have come across) Listerene! I assure you it is completely safe for both you and the snake (Although avoid getting in your snakes eyes) simply get a cap of listerene or a eye dropper and put a small amount where the snake is latched, it will release immediately!

Now that you know more about how a snake bites and how to react and you now know it won't hurt you can be more confident and continue to love your childreni!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back