Snake Breeding Season

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantazmic

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I need some help

I have a Jungle Carpet Python who is about 20 months old. I didnt cool him this season because I have no plans to breed (havent done enough homework) and I am a newbie so this snake keeping thing is all new to me. Anyway early August he went off his food. I didnt think much of it because he has always been a fussy eater. So he hasnt eaten for about 3 and a half/ four weeks....yes I know I know that is nothing for a snake.

Heres the thing...he is sooooo restless. He is pacing his enclosure and wants to get out. He puts his head on the door hangs himself in all sorts of wierd positions in the enclosure and is totally stressed out. The enclosure is big 1200 high 900 wide and 600 deep and he has a big lasagne dish of water in the bottom of his enclosure if he wants a bath and lots of spots to sit and bask on and a shelf with a reptiradiator he can sit on and snooze. I provide a nice cottom hand towel for him to sit on and he loves to get inside it if he is feeling he really wants to sleep and have a rest.

I tried last night with a fuzzy mouse because if I give him anything small rat or mouse he loves it and it often gets him feeding again....he doesnt want it and he doesnt care.
Ive upped his heat....made no difference.

He looks really good in himself...he isnt 'fat' but certainly isnt skinny and maybe looks a bit dull like he might be heading towards a shed and when he sheds its all uncomplicated and usually comes off in one piece. So I know it isnt health related...he looks too good and is too alert and active to be sick. Also he isnt aggressive at all, but that is normal for him...he is flat out striking his food at the best of times

This morning he is sleeping in a tight ball on his shelf as if he is really tired....probably been active all night climbing everywhere.

In contrast Elvira who is a girl is the exact opposite she is a garbage disposal and eating really well and probably more settled and placcid than she has ever been.

Ive had suggested to me that Alvin is looking for a girlie. If this is the problem there is no point feeding him I am just going to have to wait till he settles.

My question is...when might this be ? I actually think I am more stressed than he is !!

(One good thing....if it is breeding anxiety at least I know its likely he is a boy lol)

Kind Regards

Elizabeth

He is looking for a mate;-)
I have a three yr old female roughie who I have to wrestle back into her enclosure everytime I refresh her bowl, she also is off food and pacing constantly
As far as food goes may be another month yet, I just offer every time I feed the others.
I have a spotted that goes off food in April (6yr old) won't eat until October, does it every winter and is not cooled.

Last edited:
Thanks so much

Elvira cant eat any more of Alvins discarded rats....I think I will leave both of them till the end of the month and try again.

I thought it was something boys do....clearly girls can do it too....

So I need to remember fro next year he goes off his food August ish and well we just have to wait and see

I guess I just have to feed him up when he is eating !!

Elizabeth

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back