snake handler spiked by deadly taipans fang

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elapid@

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A CURRUMBIN Wild life sanctuary snake handler has been pricked by a tiapans fang- but it was a freak accident rather then a bite.brett whittle was cleaning out a snake enclosure when a tooth in the snake faeces spiked his finger about 8.30 am.

A colleague applied preasure dandages and the ambulance was called.
Mr whittle received antivenene at the scene and was taken to the tweed hospital for observation.
sanctuary spokeman david luxton said while the risk of poisoning was low, staff did not want to take chances.
"The inland tiapan is one of the three most deadly snakes in the world "he said.
"what happened was very unusual and unexspected,but a minor incident overall.

"Snakes relace their teeth all through their life.
"This tooth must have been emebbeded in his food and the snake passed it through."
cheers steve.

Hey guys, that news article is a bit misleading. It was a Coastal Taipan fang, he didn't receive antivenom at all and the blokes name wasn't Brett. He's perfectly OK, he didn't show any symptoms and was discharged from hospital after a few hours.

Don't believe everything you read or see in the media!

Cheers

Hey guys, that news article is a bit misleading. It was a Coastal Taipan fang, he didn't receive antivenom at all and the blokes name wasn't Brett. He's perfectly OK, he didn't show any symptoms and was discharged from hospital after a few hours.

Yes, but the truth doesn't make such good copy! It's like all of the "pit bull" attacks where the dog is a genuine mongrel.

i will find out the real story tomorrow if thats the case as my girl friend works there. Yeah i agree the media dose push the story a little further than the truth, i wouldn't of thought that he would be given antivenene if their wasn/t any envenomation as that would be just as deadly, i would like to here the real story, they also did just not long ago get two inland tiapans. m/f
cheers steve

I spoke to the guy who was spiked by the fang this morning. I posted the above information just after I got off the phone to him.

how come the media stuffed it up in a big way? its 90% fales

Because it wouldn't sound exciting if they said he was stabbed by a fang, went to hospital as a precautionary measure but as expected, showed no symptoms and left a few hours later.

A mate of mine was killed in South Australia by a Scrub Python. The media went rampant with the story, posting all sorts of incorrect information and made him out to be a drug using, drunk recluse who had snakes roaming his house and property. They are not interested in delivering the truth, they are interested in selling more newspapers.

yeah i very rarley even read articals in the news paper any way just that a mate gave me the artical and i though it might be something that would be an intrest for aps to read.
least we know the real story.
cheers steve

that is so true . some of the accidents i go to are a load of crap. i will be there and see what going on you will see whats happen and see who was there but some how the news says all this other stuff. i guess its to make it sound more exciting.

"sanctuary spokeman david luxton said while the risk of poisoning was low"

I wouldn't think that 'poisoning' is the right term here... Envenomation maybe?

Cheers

Yeah i was wondering about that, i thought if you were given antivenom and you hadn't been envenomated in the first place you would be in a bit of stife. I was unaware they gave anitvenom just as a precaution ;)

Bloody journo's!

Simone.

A mate of mine was killed in South Australia by a Scrub Python. The media went rampant with the story, posting all sorts of incorrect information and made him out to be a drug using, drunk recluse who had snakes roaming his house and property. They are not interested in delivering the truth, they are interested in selling more newspapers.

Just curious how did this actuallly happen in reality(minus media BS)?

Thats scary
I'm going there tomoro for a herp course!!! :s
Oh well, we'll most likely be in safe hands

Just curious how did this actuallly happen in reality(minus media BS)?

It looks like he removed the snake from its enclosure to remove a shed skin. It bit him on the face, presumably hanging on, and as he has instinctivly reached up to grab at it/pull it off, it wrapped a few coils around his arms and held them tight against his chest.

He had loads of experience with large boids in Sweden, like Burmese Pythons, African Rock Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Reticulated Pythons, Green Anaconda's and PNG Scrubs. It was simply an unfortunate series of uncommon events that ended in the death of someone who I believe had the ability to become a major contributor to the academic side of herpetology.

Thats scary
I'm going there tomoro for a herp course!!! :s
Oh well, we'll most likely be in safe hands

you'll be right :D
Nat or Ben will take care of you! have fun! :p

its a great course :)

Nat ;)

It looks like he removed the snake from its enclosure to remove a shed skin. It bit him on the face, presumably hanging on, and as he has instinctivly reached up to grab at it/pull it off, it wrapped a few coils around his arms and held them tight against his chest.

He had loads of experience with large boids in Sweden, like Burmese Pythons, African Rock Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Reticulated Pythons, Green Anaconda's and PNG Scrubs. It was simply an unfortunate series of uncommon events that ended in the death of someone who I believe had the ability to become a major contributor to the academic side of herpetology.

i remember hearing of this
the media really went crazy over that one

was very unfortunate,
ive heard of this happening in other countrys with large boids that kill there keeper.
they can kill you quicker than any venomous snake can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back