Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i didn't, a few were found already dead and others we're dying. five were found only one was healthy and it was released at a safer location. i work at a uni and had some stuff on hand to preserve them so i did.

i have some queries as to why they were dying, and i have a few more pics of the specimens. but i'll make a new thread shortly.

i didn't, a few were found already dead and others we're dying. five were found only one was healthy and it was released at a safer location. i work at a uni and had some stuff on hand to preserve them so i did.

i have some queries as to why they were dying, and i have a few more pics of the specimens. but i'll make a new thread shortly.

Be careful about the legalities of preserving animals, I'm not trying to discourage it, but be careful that authorities do monitor these sites and unless you have a license allowing you to do so I'd encourage not to preserve specimens, or at least not talk about it.

Cheers for the heads up Geck', i should have realised its illegal in some way, (like owning a crocskull without permits ect.) it was a spur of the moment type thing. i'll see to it they're disposed of correctly.

Dan

The head shape threw me also. So I went hunting and found a pic of a yearling Slaty Grey in a ‘for sale ad’…

Palmerston ID.JPGYearling Slaty-grey for sale ad.jpg

While I am not fully comfortable with the outcome, is does seem the most likely species given the available information.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
I_am_snake, I am not familiar with the Territory's specific laws in this regard. You can be assured is that each state or territory will have legislation governing it, as Geckphotographer pointed out. To take an example, freeze dried Thorny Devils would make a very popular momento of a trip to the NT. To say I found it dead might wash with one individual but if someone was dealing in multiples of 10...

So there is good reason for prohibitive legislation. However, I warrant that every country primary school and high school will have a bottled collection of roadkills and similarly collected dead specimens along with skulls and bones. The same is likely to be true of any local naturalists clubs. Despite the potential illegalities, to the best of my knowledge no educational institution or environmental oriented group have ever been prosecuted in any state or territory for such offences. The authorities do seen to acknowledge that that bottled specimens, irrespective of their condition, are not particularly saleable items and in the context of providing an educational resource they are happy to turn a blind eye.

While that is my perception of how the system tends to operate it remains your responsibility Dan to do the homework needed to bring you up to scratch on the local legislation and how it is implemented. I would suggest you make enquiries as to want is a required to legalise collection and preservation of specimens under your authorities. That will put it beyond doubt.

Blue

If it helps, as per the NT wildlife act, you need the appropriate permit to hold any protected wildlife. They define "protective" as any animal living or deceased or part of an animal.

Being that you work at the uni and these could be use for training or identification purposes, have a chat to the ladies at NRETAS and see if they can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back