Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm if it is an eastern small eyed snake they are DANGEROUSLY VENOMOUS....

Why say this?

sorry i don't know very much at all about venomous snakes........

And then say this?

Small eyed snakes from southern areas in their range are generally very innocuous. Some very large specimens are regarded as dangerously venomous (these tend to be QLD animals). The pictures you've posted look alot like a small eyed snake. They are generally about, but seldom seen. They are nocturnal skink eaters so are seldom seen moving around and are generally encountered at night (on roads) or under cover (tin or even dog kennels!).

All that being said, be careful relocating/molesting them. Rather than relocating them it might be better to just leave it. A bite could cause an allergic reaction and possible anaphylaxis (sp?).

-H

Hmmm...i didn't just post those replies on a whim ok, those are facts published in a book to quote "Eastern small eyed snake cryptophis nigrescens TL 500mm (rarely 1m) Glossy black,without pattern. Ventral surfaces cream to pale pink, sometimes flecked and blotchy with black. Ventral pigment is wholly confined to ventral scales (not extending up onto lower flanks) Nasal scale contacts preocular scale. E. coast and ranges,from just w. of Melb, Vic to Cairns, QLD. Habitats inc RF and WSF, woodlands, heaths and rock outcrops. Frequently encountered beneath bark on fallen logs. In addition to skinks and frogs, other snakes (inc it's own kind) are recorded as prey items. Venom toxicity appears to vary geographically, and some pops may be considered DANGEROUSLY VENOMOUS. One recorded fatality. And no i don't know much about elapids ...thats why i have books...to learn LOL (written any books lately? :p so i can learn you're theories?)

Why i meant was "don't post on topics you openly admit you've no idea about".

Nothing is stopping you reading the threads and learning. I understand you want to help Stormanne, but it might be better to leave it to those who can give advice that will mediate damage. Posting "IT'S DANGEROUSLY VENOMOUS" can elicit an irrational response like "off with it's head".

No offence was intended, but please be aware of the possible repercussions of what you post.

-H

understood Nephrurus :p how ever if i wish to post i will, ;) i don't say i'm an expert... and i really don't feel that my comments alone would cause a massive negative impact on their thoughts toward the snakes (thats why they keep removing them) also they ARE said to be venomous and therefore should be left to professionals to remove. JMO... but thanks for the advice :D

yes there is ;) i ordered mine through this site from Jason of reptilepublications and being a APS member you get a 10% discount as well! it's a great book and has been updated to add a further 20 species.

Great to see the intrest among you herps on how to answer an new members question. Too be fair once I had the snake ID I was able to read up on the net and better prepared to deal with them safely, for the snake and us. We welcomed all responses including ibites who was quick to respond. Thanks

it looks like a eastern small-eyed snake. they are not a little friendly snake either because we had 1 at midnight on australia day in our house that i had to relocate

It's nice to see people that aren't particularly 'snake fans' bothering to check-out what the snake
is & how to relocate it etc ---hats off to you. :)

morinin all,

garanteed it is a small eyed, and just to add to this thread on the topic of venomous, only one person has died, from memory was back in the 60's, but keep in mind (in the NSW licensing system,) whilst the RBBS and all the Hoplocepalus sp. are all class2 catagory 1, the eastern small eyed is class2 catagory2, therefore in with the tigers, death adders, western browns etc... hence they are not a snake to be bitten by. after all they might seem slow but can move very fast when they want and have a tendency to bite repeatedly and go mental once they start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back