Snake ID please - Noosa Hinterland, QLD

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can you view the images in this thread ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggy35

Reaction score
Hi there,

So we leave on a bit of acreage up in the hills, have a dam where we regularly see red-belly-blacks slither around (just saw 2 today hanging out together). We also have an absolutely gorgeous massive carpet snake who comes to visit (sorry no pix). And we also have a frangipane tree which is a favorite hot spot for snakes to come rub and shed their skins.

Now in the last week, we've had this little fella come up twice - but we just have no idea what he/she may be. From the scales around the eyes, the shape of its head, and its scales, and its colors, he/she just seems like a bitser of all kinds..

My hubby reckons it is a python but I would like to be sure, so I tried to take many pix to ask you all for help to ID him/her.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are pix from about 2 weeks ago:

View attachment 300856

View attachment 300857

- - - Updated - - -

And here are pix of tonight

View attachment 300858

View attachment 300859

View attachment 300860

View attachment 300861

- - - Updated - - -

and of his body:

View attachment 300864

View attachment 300865

Divided sub-caudal:
View attachment 300862

View attachment 300863

That's definitely a Brown Tree Snake (Boiga irregularis)
The most distinguishing features are the overall orange brown colouration, salmon belly and cat like vertical pupil.

You're welcome. They can be quite defensive if approached too closely and may bite if provoked but are not considered dangerous, as they're back-fanged and only mildly venomous.

You're welcome. They can be quite defensive if approached too closely and may bite if provoked but are not considered dangerous, as they're back-fanged and only mildly venomous.

That makes sense, he/she was definitely following my moves.. My hubby kept saying, it's a tree snake, but some of the pictures of its head are just so weird, I could not fully agree.. but now I can :)

Well, he/she is a beauty..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back